chapter four

VIOLENT DELIGHTS
─────────────────────────
( chapter four! )

LUNCH WAS A CHAOTIC AFFAIR, to say the least. Azalea had walked into the pavilion with Chiron as per request and quite literally had every single pair of eyeballs trained on her as she was publicly stated as the new camper from the woods of the southern border. So not only was she the new kid with the unknown godly parent, but she was the freaky girl from the woods that had twigs in her hair earlier. Talk about embarrassing.

She was instructed to sit wherever she wanted for lunch, though at dinner she would have to sit with her rightful cabin so they could send offerings away properly to the gods, whatever that meant. The last thing the blonde haired girl was going to do was offer her father a decent meal. Without a second thought, Azalea took advantage of this and plopped down next to Micheal at the Apollo table who was grinning widely and waving like a mad man to try and get her attention. Normally she would run the other direction from such enthusiasm, but it wasn't like she could sit with Mr. D at the front of the room and converse at length about the idiots at camp. So choice number two was the blonde kid and only other person she knew at camp.

"Hey Azalea!" Micheal greeted with a wide smile as he made room for her right beside him. "How was the tour? Did Mr. D show you the orientation film at the Big House?"

He talked at a pace so rapid, Azalea barely caught most of what he spoke and blinked at him for a few short seconds as she slowly spoke to the anxious ears of all the people around them.

"It was fine I 'pose," She cautioned a glance to all the listening ears around them. At the table there was good ten or so kids all varying in ages and ethnicities, and all the attention was on her. It was unsettling to say the least. "Chiron was boring, but Mr. D was rather funny. He's a good storyteller."

At that everyone at the table gave varying degrees of laughter and rolls of their eyes. Azalea played dumb and asked what she had said wrong, only for the oldest at the table with shoulder length blonde dreadlocks and an ear piercing to state, "Mr. D is hardly a funny guy." He paused here as he added "He more or less hates everyone and anything to do with this camp. I'm Lee Fletcher, by the way, senior cabin counsellor for Apollo."

"Azalea Bates," She introduced simply and ignored all that he said about Mr. D. The last thing she needed to do was cause a scene in defence of a god that likely hated everyone within the camp and ostracize herself. Luke had instructed her to stay low, so stay low she shall.

"That's a mouthful of a first name," The girl on the other side of Micheal spoke. She wore a blue bandana to hold back her frizzy brown hair that was a nearly identical to the shade of her skin. She was cute with her pointed features and button nose, though she was by far the youngest at the table being maybe nine years old total. Her eyes matched Micheals, the only thing that she really had in common with anyone for resemblance. Everyone at the table otherwise seemed to have freckles or tan skin, few had both and a good chunk of them had matching water blue eyes. Lots also had blonde hair or at least a lighter shade of brown. It was interesting to say the least the way the genetics rolled out. It was by luck that Azalea didn't completely hold true to the genetics.

"Well it's the only one I got," Azalea responded slowly unsure how else to respond to the young girl. Was she supposed to make up a new name? Ignore the comment altogether? The only experiment she had with younger kids had been her younger brother and they didn't exactly speak or associate a lot in their youth.