chapter seven

VIOLENT DELIGHTS
─────────────────────────
( chapter seven! )

LUCKY. That's what everyone at Camp Half-blood called her now. Lucky to be claimed by her godly parent, lucky to be gifted from him, lucky to be cursed with the darkness of Apollo's talents. Lucky. Little did they know that Azalea would give anything to become unlucky if that's what it took to go back to the way it was before.

With her sporadic and unwanted claiming by the sun patron, her father for better lack of a title, Azaleas entire camp life had been turned upside down. Now a permanent resident of the Apollo cabin she was given a new bunk and schedule, though she couldn't lie that a bed was a vast improvement to the floorboards in Cabin Eleven. With no reason to be anywhere near the Hermes Cabin during her classes, she was expected -well more like forced, to make nice with her siblings. That was the hardest part; making friends. She had never had a ton of practice in her youth, and Luke had more or less just charmed her. Ethan has been the one to initiate the entire friendship and before that Azalea couldn't recall ever having a friend. It was pathetic, really.

They were nothing alike either. If Azalea hadn't know beforehand who her godly parent was, she likely would have assumed the entire thing to be some not-so-funny prank. There were ten campers, well children of Apollo, total in the Cabin. Not as many as Hermes, the god of travellers who took in all the outcasts and nobodies of no one, but less than both Ares, the god of war and apparently the colour red by their cabin decor, and Aphrodite, goddess of love and mother of all the snobs in camp. Azalea had only met two even half-decent kids of the love goddess that weren't obsessed with romance and looking nice.

There was Austin Lake, with a head full of mouse brown hair and the normal bright blue eyes that seemed every sibling of hers was bestowed with. He was nice enough to her, with an easy going personality and was annoyingly kind when her half sister Kayla started telling Mandy to keep her distance. He had firmly told the girl to knock it off and proclaimed she wasn't dangerous.

Azalea wanted to argue that she was, but not in the way they expected. They didn't have to fear her unleashing a plague upon them, which she learned later on was the black tendrils of 'healing' she offered instead of life saving hymns. Talk about getting the crap-end of the blessing department there. That's then without even bringing up the potential accidental flame job she could bestow on them, though no one new of that ability as of yet. They were more likely to wake up under attack from the opposite side of the war because of her than anything. She wasn't on their side of the war, and they didn't have a clue.

Lee Fletcher, the boy she had first met after Micheal at the Apollo table on her first day wasn't strict but level headed in a sense. He liked to win and he often held a high regard to their father and was anxious to prove himself. Azalea also learned that he wasn't naturally gifted like anyone else in the cabin and had to work at being a good medic and a good archer. Austin was gifted in music like Kayla and both were lucky to be gifted with healing hymns as well.

There were the twins Holly and Hannah Warren who apparently only come for a few weeks each year before going back to the mortal world to live. Lee had told her not to expect meeting them until next summer or even later that winter. Kasey O'Connell, a boy with sunshine hair and an aptitude for writing and archery was only a year older than Lee and was attending college for the year in Boston. He was the only other kid other than Azalea that didn't have the matching blue eyes. He had a strange shade of hazel from the photograph she was shown. Clementine Rizzo was another sibling not around often, with a frizzy red bob and always chewing a piece of pink bubblegum. According to Micheal she was a right pain in the ass and was constantly starting fights with the Ares Cabin by spray coating the entire cabin with bright painted flowers and rainbows. Azalea made a mental note of that particular character trait.