seven. ( the goblet of fire. )

IT WAS a stormy, gray Friday, but more than the heavens-shaking thunder and blinding lightning had the students of Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang on edge

IT WAS a stormy, gray Friday, but more than the heavens-shaking thunder and blinding lightning had the students of Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang on edge. The day had finally come. The Goblet of Fire would announce the school champions for the Triwizard Tournament. As the clock ticked down the seconds until dinner that evening, Elaine tried to distract herself from unraveling into a bundle of nerves by planting herself in the plaid armchair before the fire and knitting. Much to Blake's amusement.

"How's it coming over there, Granny?" he asked, folding his long legs beneath him on the couch and jostling Milo as he did so.

Milo nudged his glasses as he flipped the page of his book — that day he was reading Othello. Cedric, on Milo's other side, glanced between his Charms book and his wand, which he held aloft and inconspicuously pointed towards Blake.

"Hey, Elaine?" Cedric asked with a shy smile. "Can you watch my wand motion? To make sure I'm doing this spell right?"

She looked up, lowering the lumpy mass of sunflower yellow wool she was trying to make into a sweater. ( Trying, being the key word. ) "Sure!"

Milo leaned back slightly in preparation for what he already sensed was coming, and he lowered his book so as to keep it out of the line of fire. But Blake leaned forward, "Hey, Gran —"

"Aguamenti!"

Cedric's jet of water nailed Blake in the center of the forehead. Blake's mouth hung open, droplets of water shimmying down the bridge of his nose and falling softly onto his gray sweater. For a moment, everything was still. The swaying plants slowed to a halt, Helga Hufflepuff ducked her head in her frame, every bit of conversation died out. Even the rambunctious third years playing a roaring game of wizard's chess abruptly halted their shrieking at the steam that began to rise from Blake's ears. Elaine held the lumpy sweater over her mouth in an effort to hide her silent laughter at the complete fury on her friend's face. Such effort failed completely, as Milo began to laugh so hard he snorted.

"Your form is excellent, Ced," Elaine beamed through her laughter.

"Fucking — !" Shaking water from his hair like a dog, Blake lunged across Milo, who pouted as Othello was knocked to the ground, to wrap his hands around the collar of Cedric's shirt. He then proceeded to shake him vigorously, which only caused Cedric to laugh even more.