twenty. ( the fourth letter. )

MONTHS SLIPPED through their fingers, and no matter how hard Elaine wished to make time stop, no matter how she longed to keep everything just as it was — perfect and warm and happy, spring bled into summer, and June bore down upon them with its s...

MONTHS SLIPPED through their fingers, and no matter how hard Elaine wished to make time stop, no matter how she longed to keep everything just as it was — perfect and warm and happy, spring bled into summer, and June bore down upon them with its soft, easy winds and starlit nights. The hot sun made Cedric's freckles flourish like dappled sunbursts, and Blake's cheeks burned red from all the careless afternoons they spent lounging in the grass, ignoring their homework and fiddling with dandelions and playing with ladybugs. Milo's already unruly curls had grown out even further, swirling about his ears and sweeping across the back of his neck like wispy black smoke. ( All the more perfect for her to nestle clovers into! )

Elaine loved summer, maybe even more than she loved spring, for all the warmth and laughter that it brought, and if the dreamy beginnings of June were any indication — Elaine was sure that that summer was going to be the best of all. It'd be the summer before their seventh year, the summer before everything had to change and they had to "grow up!" and part ways and start dreaded careers.

Growing up was a complete and utter sham. Who said you ever had to stop dreaming and wondering at the small marvels of the world? She wasn't planning to grow up anytime soon, thank you very much! Turning 17 wasn't going to change a thing — she was going to spend her summer as lazily and carefree as ever, ignoring all academic obligations until her exam results came back and she had to face the music and be realistic about the future ( and probably have a hard talk with her dad about her marks ).

Anyway, all Elaine wanted was to open her own bakery — with a cozy little corner to sell her knitting, of course! It wasn't like Defense Against the Dark Arts or Transfiguration would really matter to her in the future! Defense Against the Sinister Scones? Completely unrealistic.

But, exams were over and out of mind for the present, and all that was left for the Sexy Soon-To- Be Seventh Years to survive before they could enjoy the summer of their dreams was the Third Task of the Triwizard Tournament. ( Which was the same day as her birthday, how convenient — two things to celebrate on the same day! Her birthday and Cedric's big win! ( She's manifesting. ))