eleven. ( the third letter. )

CEDRIC DIGGORY was, by nature, humble and hardworking, reliable and patient, caring and kind

CEDRIC DIGGORY was, by nature, humble and hardworking, reliable and patient, caring and kind. He was genuine and charming and didn't have a mean bone in his entire body. He was also, however, very prone to both overthinking and worrying, and even more liable to end up avoiding everything that worried him. ( Because no one is perfect! We all have our flaws! ) And right now, his biggest worry was the Yule Ball.

It was silly, he knew. To be so terrified of asking someone to a dance, especially after half of his face had been incinerated by a dragon mere weeks ago ( though everything had healed up perfectly! ), was incredibly silly. But he was worried, anxious even, about the act of asking, about the implications of asking, about his own feelings, and he'd been putting it off.

And so December slowly crept by in a haze of fat snowflakes and festive string lights and decorated pines, until Christmas ( and the ball ) was only a week and a half away — and Cedric still hadn't asked anyone to be his date.

It wasn't that he didn't have someone in mind, of course he did. He had the most beautiful and wonderful embodiment of perfect kindness and sunlight in mind. He'd have been, frankly, an absolute idiot if he didn't. Of course he wanted to ask her, but he was a bit scared of facing his feelings, whatever they may be ( because he didn't know what he felt! ) so obviously he had been avoiding the whole matter of asking entirely.

Plus, there were the letters he had been receiving, and even though Cedric thought he might know who was sending them to him — because he really wasn't an idiot ( despite what the Gryffindors and Slytherins might say ) — he was sure as hell not about to bring them up. No matter if he read them before bed every night and drifted off to sleep with his heart soaring amongst the golden heavens, no matter if he felt a rush of giddy joy and happiness and admiration for the beauty of life and love, no matter if they possibly made him believe in soulmates. No matter if, maybe, maybe, he felt the same way. Maybe. ( Again, he was avoiding his feelings like the plague. ) But no, he wasn't going to bring the letters up or broach the topic with who he suspected was sending them. If he had made a mistake about who it was, if he wasn't completely sure, he could ruin everything. And Cedric did not want that at all. So he was avoiding it. Like the plague. Like he always did.