sixteen. ( a match with a mermaid. )

ELAINE'S BED was empty

ELAINE'S BED was empty. There were her clothes, haphazardly strewn about the floor of her bed ( because she always let the mess accumulate during the week; Saturday was typically for cleaning back up ). Her robes were draped over her trunk, which was propped open by stacks of textbooks that she wasn't a fan of opening and a mountain of different knitting yarns. Seeker Aidan Lynch and the rest of Ireland's quidditch team smiled out at him from where pink tape held them above her bed, amidst a tangle of fairy lights and floral garland. Various sketches and pictures of captured moments silently laughed and danced and beamed from where they were strung beneath the poster. Her scrapbook, wand, and a framed picture of her and Ben sat on the bedside table, along with a small, smooth stone. His scarf and her camera were hooked around one of the bedposts, with her lavender coat hung over the other. Her patchwork quilt was messily pulled up and slightly lumpy, from where she hadn't fixed the sheet beneath, but besides her massive stuffed bumblebee, Elaine's bed was utterly empty.

Cedric anxiously chewed on his lip. Her coat and wand were both there, so she couldn't have left the castle already, he thought. He'd already asked the other girls in the dorm if they'd seen her ( which they hadn't since last night ), and Cedric silently cursed himself for not staying up to wait for her. Milo wouldn't have let him, but he could've pretended to sleep until Milo had passed out. And he wished that he had, because Elaine was missing, and he needed her.

He needed her, with her calm and steady fingers cool upon his cheek ( because her hands were always cold ) and her sweet, soothing voice, like the breath of a soft spring breeze. Cedric was hopeless without her, which was something he hadn't realized until shockingly recently. He needed Elaine more than he'd ever needed anyone, and he cared for her so much that it scared him.

Sure, they'd kissed. A few times. But he was terrified about ruining things, ruining their friendship — because what if it didn't work out? He didn't know what he'd do if he lost his dearest friend. It would be like losing half of himself; all of the best parts of him would be gone. He would be so empty without her.

"Fred, George, and Lee haven't seen her this morning," came a bright voice from behind him.

"Neither have Lucien, Adrianne, or Cho," added another, in soft, caramel tones.