the four times leading up to i love you

"Those three simple words hold so much meaning. Saying those words can bring up a lot of fear... Coming from a place of feeling too exposed or too vulnerable."

The four events leading up to you and Rue's first "I love you."

***

October 23, 2019

"Is this a cute photo? I don't know whether I want to post it or not," You ask your best friend, Rue Bennett. You guys went out to Venice Beach for the day, and you forced Rue to take pictures of you for your Instagram. (You never even post them, you just wanted to hear Rue's opinion on you.)

"Yeah, of course it's cute. You always look cute..." She mumbles at the end, like she didn't want you to hear it, but you heard it. Loud and clear.

"Thanks, but I mean, all thanks to you. You're like a professional phtoographer over here," You show her another photo, "Just look at those angles."

Rue giggles, zooming in on your face.

"I do my best. Maybe, next time I'll charge you. $5 per photo, $10 for a photoshoot."

You laugh, "On second thought, maybe self timer isn't so bad after all."

"Being your personal photographer is hard work, you know."

"Oh, really..." You press on the camera and start taking photos of Rue, who smiles and immediately buries her face into her pillows.

"I'm camera shy!"

"Yeah, this is so much work, cause my model won't stay still!" You laugh, rolling around with Rue in her bed, attempting to get photos of that oh so cute face of hers.

She was your best friend, forever.

January 30, 2020

"Have you ever roller skated before?" Rue asks, tying the laces to skates. She looked like a professional, like she's done this many times before.

You, on the other hand, never. You ice skated when you were like, 12. But, that was many years ago. You were one thousand percent sure you were gonna fall on your butt and make a fool out of yourself.

It was a Friday night, so you and Rue decided to go rollerskating, since you guys live in California; ice skating wouldn't neccessarily work out well.

"No, I've never skated before... If I'm being completely honest, I'm like, really scared," You admit, struggling to stand up in your skates.

"It's fine. I got you," She says, holding your hands to help you stand up. You wobbled, but finally stood up, still gripping her hands.

"Ready?" She asks, you nodded and she guided to two of you to the floor.

"Everybody Wants to Rule The World," by Tears For Fears blasted in the rink, and for once, everything felt perfect.

It almost felt like you were in an 80s romcom. Like, it was the ideal date... except it was just a "night out" with Rue.

"Here, give me your hand," She says, watching you stand at the edge, not wanting to leave the carpet; afraid of slipping and falling in front of Rue, which would be totally embarrassing.

You reluctantly give her your hand, taking a step down from the carpet onto the wooden floor, letting out a little yelp as you felt yourself almost slip.

"Rue! I'm scared!"

"It's okay, it's okay! I have you..."

Rue helps you go around the rink once, and then eventually you get the hang of it; but, you never let go of her hand, even when you no longer needed it.