sweet dreams

in which, you weren't actually asleep.

Rue reached over your body to grab the remote, so she could turn the TV off. You guys were watching some Netflix original movie, but then she heard your heavy breathing (and possibly your snoring) and figured you'd fallen asleep.

She didn't realize how late it was either, time flies when you're with your favorite person.

You and Rue are best friends. The best of friends, actually. She was the first one to talk to you when you transferred schools a few years ago, and since then, you guys have been practically inseparable.

You guys would sleep in the same bed and give each other hugs... But, that's all you were.

Friends. Best friends.

She laid in her bed, watching your hands tucked under the pillow. Your legs curled close to your chest. The rising and falling of your chest.

You looked so peaceful. Like you didn't have a care in the world.

Rue's plan to confess her real feelings for you was just gonna have to wait; she didn't want to wake you up.

So, she reached for her covers and pulled them over you guys as she laid down next to you. She was gonna tell you how she felt; how she's been in love with you since she laid eyes on you. How every time you laugh, it gives her butterflies in her stomach. How just being in the same room with you, makes her days brighter.

She wrapped one arm around your body as the other cradled close to her chest. She took a deep breath, before bringing herself to snuggle in closer. You could feel her head pressing softly into your back.

In fact, you felt her warmth almost instantly.

(You were a very light sleeper.)

And it made you feel at peace. Her touch was like watching the sunset, watching the waves crash, it felt magical. Your heart even skipped a beat and a small smile spread across your face.

You turned around to face her.

Rue jumped, startled, even a little embarrassed; unwrapping her arms almost immediately. Her face turned a deep shade of pink.

"I'm sorry," She apologizes.

"For what?" You say tiredly, scooting closer to her.

"Nothing... never mind."

You interlock your hand with hers. Your eyes close once more, longing to feel her touch again.

"It was okay, I liked it."

"Are you sure?" She whispers. Rue's face was stuck at the fact that you weren't totally creeped out by what she was doing, instead yearned for more.

"Yeah, just don't let go."

She holds your hand tighter.

She would've been lying if she said that her stomach wasn't doing cartwheels.

To your satisfaction, she wrapped her arms you, once again and you scooted in closer. You buried your face in the crook of her neck and Rue smiled feeling the touch of your skin against hers.

Rue rolled over to face you, this time, and placed a soft kiss on your forehead.

"Sweet dreams, Rue Rue," You whispered, followed by a yawn, "I love you."

"I-I love you, too," Rue said with a permanent smile attached to her face. You were too tired to notice, but she couldn't help herself.

The feeling of her soft lips against your skin gave you goosebumps. It felt like fireworks were going off in your head. Like all of this was just too good to be true, that this was just a really good dream.

But, it was real... because the next morning, you woke up right next to her, close together, her arms wrapped securely around you.

You wouldn't trade that feeling for the world.

She didn't even have to confess how she felt about you. No words needed to be spoken... It was something that was meant to be.