i've got you, now.

tw// past mentions of drug use and withdrawals

in which rue is officially one year clean, and you reflect on what it took to get there.

You and Rue were having your weekly Friday movie night. Today, you chose to watch "10 Things I Hate About You," your guy's favorite rom-com. The movie night thing became a tradition when you guys were "friends," you'd sleepover every Friday night and watch any movie that caught your eye.

You pick up your phone to take a picture of you guys, because Rue's head was laying so perfectly in your lap.

"Rue?! Oh my gosh," You immediately say as you realize what day it was.

Rue sits up, her hair still damp, leaving the blanket wet as she gets up.

"What's wrong?!"

"Today, you've been clean for a year..."

***

Rue struggled with addiction throughout eighth grade and her first three years of high school. It started when she was only 13-years-old, when she got ahold of her sick father's drugs. It got so bad, to the point where it was like she couldn't even function properly without them.

But, a year ago, she made the decision to be clean, because she met you.

It wasn't easy. Not a single bit.

There were days that Rue would FaceTime you in the middle of the night, it would be between the hours of 1:00am and 4:00am. She would be frantically telling you to come over because she thought she was going insane.

And when you got there, she was sobbing and sweating, pacing back and forth in her room anxiously.

"Rue, take a deep breath," You held her hand and felt her shaking, "Baby, look at me..."

She looked at you with glossy eyes and quivering lips.

"You're okay. Everything is okay, but you just need to breathe, alright?"

She nodded her head as you grabbed the water bottle on her nightstand, "In and out," you say; Rue matches her breathing pattern with your voice and drinks her water.

And once she's calmed down, you ask what's wrong and if she was okay, but it was always the same response. All you ever got was, "I don't know," and "I just can't do this anymore."

It broke your heart to see her in such a fragile and unstable state, but it was a waxing and waning situation.

In the bad times, there would be good times.

Those nights where you'd go over to calm her down.

Her head rested comfortably in your lap as you run your fingers through her freshly washed hair that smelled like vanilla. It's was your favorite scent, even now, it still is. She would take your hand and place kisses all over it... telling you how she's sorry for putting you through all that.

But, you didn't mind. You knew the only way for her to get better was having people there to support her. Her family thought she'd been clean the whole time... and she doesn't have any friends; She only had you.

You guys would watch TV, share some laughs, eat popcorn, and Rue would end up falling asleep right there on you. It was those moments that brought you guys together more and more.

But, that also meant, in the good times there would be bad times.

After she say you down and told you that she was gonna stop using drugs, you took her on a date a week later.