secret santa

A/N: I'm back from my long hiatus!!! Yay!!!Basically, during the time I stopped writing, I moved to a different state, then thought of this story... but I'm back— This is actually one of my favorite stories so far. Enjoy!

***

Christmas time is one of the best times of the year, it's you're favorite. From the cold winter nights to the warm hot chocolate by the tree, it's simply the best.

But, with Christmas comes the stress of figuring out what to get everyone. You want everything to be perfect. You wish you could just get inside the brains of your loved ones, so you know exactly what they want.

Luckily, you've been paying pretty good attention in the last few weeks. Everyone is gonna get something that they'll enjoy.

You had everything planned out accordingly, until your coworkers decided that they wanted to do Secret Santa.

Your coworkers are amazing people, and you're so thankful that they even hire high schoolers. Getting gifts for them should be easy, right? Old people love mugs and practically anything with cheesy sayings on them.

But, this year, you pulled out the name of a girl that you hoped you would get— Rue Bennett.

Rue Bennett, your coworker and classmate, and... your crush. The shy girl who barely speaks is the girl who has your heart, and you've never even spoken a word to her.

This finally gives you a reason to go talk to her... to find out what she likes, what interests she has, and maybe even become friends— Which is way better than just coworkers.

***

It's a Friday afternoon after school and it's been a week since you pulled her name out of the Santa hat.

Rue is serving a table in the corner, smiling as she hands the customers their food.

You guys go on break at the same time, yet have never talked to each other. She puts in her earbuds and sits on the side of the building. Even in school, she doesn't say much, so you try not to bother her.

But, today, you were going to conquer your fear and talk to your crush.

You watch her as she tells another waitress she's going on break and walks out the back door.

This was it. Your heart is racing, your mind is running around in circles— Walk out that door and go talk to her, she's a normal, regular human being, just like you— You take a deep breath.

"Hi," You say with a small wave.

Your heart is beating out of your chest as Rue takes out her earbuds.

"Oh, hey," She says with a smile.

Thank god you got that over with, you think to yourself.

"So, I've been at this job since the beginning of school and figured I'd try to make a friend that isn't over the age of 30..." You say, making Rue chuckle. This was going well, so far.

"Well, my name is Rue. Rue Bennett. I think we go to school together... I've, uh, seen you around."

You introduce yourself.

Rue taps the sidewalk for you to come sit down next to her.

"I've seen you around, too. What time does your shift end?" You ask, trying to keep the conversation going.

She wasn't as shy as she looks.

Rue groans, "Seven. I think it's like, illegal to keep us in school for seven hours, then make us work three extra hours, just to be able to afford things... Sometimes, I ask myself if it's even worth it."