until we meet again

in which the subway is crowded, yet somehow there's always a spot saved for you.

Monday, August 24th

Everyone knows that New York City is one of the busiest cities in the entire world, which is a factor you probably considered before moving there. Your school is all the way in Manhattan, so you unfortunately had to take the subway to get there every day.

But, it's the first day of the new semester.

To your surprise, you're highly anticipating going back; Over the break, you've been doing absolutely nothing and convinced you're probably just losing brain cells from watching TV all day.

You actually wanted to learn something useful.

In a way it's kind of fun, waking up extra early, walking to the station. It's almost calming, relaxing.

That is, until you actually get in the subway. It's crowded with all kinds of different people, some people are kind of creepy, it's kind of dirty, but hey. It's getting you to where you need to be.

You sit next to this brown curly-haired girl with a black Jansport backpack in her lap. Her style was something that you immediately noticed. She was wearing a pair of plaid pants with beat-up Converse.

It was cute. Really cute, actually.

"Can I sit here?" You ask softly, immediately feeling dumb; It's public transit, you're on a moving subway, of course you can sit there.

"Yeah, yeah of course."

You sit down next to the stranger.

When she's not looking, you try to catch a better glimpse of her.

(She does the same.)

Suddenly, you do that thing where you picture fake scenarios in your head.

Picture this; You ask her what she's listening to, it ends up being your favorite artist; you two connect instantly, it's love at first sight; Which leads to a first date, which leads to a first kiss--

Your thoughts are interrupted by the subway coming to a halt. The mysterious Converse wearing, curly-headed girl gets up, gives you a light smile, and walks towards the exit.

Damn it.

You regret not saying anything to her.

For the rest of the ride (and for the rest of the day), she's all you could think about. You hoped to see her again.

***

Tuesday, August 25th

You stayed up later than usual, FaceTiming your parents, who were curious about your first day back, and somehow lost track of time watching Netflix. You didn't go to bed until almost 2:00am, which sucked, considering your first class was at 8:00am.

But, you couldn't wait to get up and head to the subway... so you could sit by that girl, who's name you still don't know and haven't even spoken a single word to.

You decided to put on a nicer outfit than usual, put a coat of clear lipgloss on, and wear your pair of Converse, too.

And off to the subway station you went.

***

Upon entering, your eyes immediately scan the car for the girl you couldn't stop thinking about...

They light up when you find her, and go back to normal, when you realize her backpack was sitting in the empty seat. Did she not want you to sit by her again? Was she expecting someone else?