Chapter twenty-three

Present

"Emma," Oliver whispered.

"Oliver, are you okay?" Emma stepped closer.

Oliver coughed. "Yeah, I'm just a bit tired." He glanced at the building door. "What are you doing here?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"My friend." Emma motioned to the door. "H-She lives here." Her voice trembled.

"You don't have to explain." Oliver shook his head.

"But what are you doing here?"

"My sister lived here."

"You mean."

"Yes." Oliver nodded. "My dead sister, she is the only sibling I had."

"That still doesn't explain what you are doing here at seven a.m.?" Emma squinted her eyes.

Oliver stood up, rubbing the back of his neck with his left hand. "I-I couldn't sleep, so I packed her stuff."

"Oh. Okay. I better go," she said and stepped to the side.

"Do you need a ride?" Oliver lowered his head, meeting Emma's dark eyes.

Emma observed the sidewalk where all the cars stood in the line beside the pathwalk. The street seemed quiet as just a few cars passed by the gray building. A few lights on the first floor of the building appeared turned on, giving a murky light to the path walk.

"I don't see your car," she said, scanning the line again.

"Mine is in the shop, but my friend gave me his car for the time being." Oliver motioned to the silver car in front of the line.

"It's okay, I can walk." She slightly smiled, tucking her black hair behind her ear.

A lump formed in Oliver's throat, and his stomach twisted in knots. "I can." He gulped, "I can drive you, it's not a problem."

"Are you okay?" Emma knitted her eyebrows.

"Yeah, I'm just," he paused as a tall, lean man appeared behind Emma. "I'm just hungry." Oliver tried to avoid staring at the man behind Emma.

"I noticed you always forget to eat." She giggled. "But I better go, my mom, will be worried if she won't find me at home."

"So you really don't want a ride?" He glanced at the man's spirit.

"No." Emma stepped to the sidewalk. "I guess we will see each other at work." She tilted her head, her black hair slid to the side.

"Not for a few days," Oliver said. "I'm taking time off for personal issues."

"Okay." Emma nodded. "Then I guess I see you around, Oliver." She smiled.

"Yes." He placed his hands in his coat pockets, escorting Emma with his glance.

Emma turned around, "Bye." She lifted her hand.

"Bye, Emma," he whispered.

Oliver's knee twitched as his sight remained fixated on the empty street. He noticed the tall man stayed behind as Emma walked away. Oliver tilted his head down and stepped from the stair.

"I know you saw me," the man spoke in a firm tone. Oliver shut his eyes, thinking about what to do next. "I need your help." The man pleaded.

"I don't think I can help you." Oliver shook his head.

"I have no one and my daughter is in trouble."

Oliver swiftly turned back to the man. "What kind of trouble?"

"A man watches her and follows her everywhere."

Talk To Meजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें