Chapter twenty-four

August

The afternoon felt warm as Leah left the coffee shop. A slight breeze rumpled her brown curls while she stepped down on the sidewalk. She glanced around at the widows of the shops while dragging her work sneakers against the gray pathwalk. Her shins felt sore after spending all morning on her feet. She hated the morning shifts at the coffee shop as tips seemed smaller, but the workload felt bigger. Hoping her boss will hire a new barista soon, she put up with more work just so she could help him out.

Her head turned to the left as she noticed a whispering voice of a girl. The street seemed still just a few cars passed by and the distant sound of the dog barking appeared. The voice seemed closer as Leah reached the alley between the clothing store and the bookshop. Feeling curious, she stepped toward the sound.

In a lane between red-bricked buildings stood a girl. Her face wasn't visible as she kept her back on the alley entrance. Her black hair was held in a high ponytail. A small part of her hair stuck under the strap of the big black backpack.

"Don't fear it," the girl whispered, halting for a moment. "Yes. Your loved ones are there." She nodded, gripping the straps of the backpack.

Leah's eyes widened as she watched the girl talking to what appeared to be a green metal garbage box. She strode closer, trying to hear the conversation clearer. The girl's head snapped as Leah walked into the little pool, getting muddy water in her white shoes. Leah looked down, shaking her right foot. Her shoes and black pants had brownish droplets on them.

"Go," the girl said in a hushed tone, motioning to a crumbled red wall.

She turned around from the garbage box and walked toward the alley entrance. Leah watched the girl, she seemed tall and lean. Her clothes seemed worn out, the sleeves of the red hoodie had rips on them. The girl stuffed her palms into gray jeans as she passed Leah. She turned left and walked up the street, Leah, still feeling very curious, followed her.

"Did you, did you just escort someone to the light?" Leah asked, wheezing.

"What?" The girl stopped, turning around. "What did you just say?" She halted in front of Leah.

"You did." Leah inspected the change in the girl's demeanor. "You have a gift."

"I do not understand what you are talking about," the girl said and waved her hand.

"You can see ghosts," Leah whispered.

"And people call me crazy," the girl laughed. "Why do you smell so good?"

"What?" Leah felt confused.

"You smell." The girl came closer, breathing the air. "Like blueberries."

"I work in a coffee shop. Don't change the subject, though." Leah narrowed her gray eyes. "Did you escort someone into the light?"

"No." The girl swayed her hands to the sides.

"Who was it?" Leah lifted her eyebrow.

"This homeless lady," the girl said, widening her green eyes. "I have to go." The girl turned her back on Leah.

"Wait!" Leah shouted.

"Do not follow me," the girl stated, glancing over her shoulder.

Leah watched as the girl sprinted up the street. Perhaps she got too excited and came on too strong to the girl. But Leah felt sure that the girl had a gift. The view seemed too familiar to her.

Five days have passed since Leah saw the strange girl in the alley. The thoughts about her often visited Leah. More so that day as she placed blueberry muffins on the display. The place felt empty as just a couple of teenagers rested at the brown table near the windows.