Chapter Five

Thank God for my sake, there's a subway down the next block. I make sure to grab my sweatshirt in order to look inconspicuous, but how ordinary can you look in a full-black bodysuit with hand-drawn lightning all over it, and a mask that looks like a cheap hat with eyeholes? Even with a sweatshirt on, it still looks sketchy. Then again, it's Manhattan- barely anyone ever looks up from their phones here anyway.

After slowly stealing battery power from the phones of about 30 unsuspecting bystanders, I'm back up to full power and am ready to fight anyone who come my way. I leave the subway, earning a few wayward looks that I simply shrug off- I'm too hyper to think about anything as small as that. I haven't been this charged in months! On the walk towards Central Park, my legs start moving too fast for me to control them, causing me to walk into plenty of unhappy citizens. Clearly, since my legs are no longer under my control, I decide to do something else- a move I've never attempted before.

I call for energy from every thing around me that I can- phones, cars, street lights- and then I position it underneath my feet and release it, blowing me skyward and making every hair within 15 feet stand on end. Sorry, that description sucks, but it's basically Iron Man taking off except with pure electricity.

As I shoot into the sky, I let out a cheer and twist around, getting a view of all of Manhattan. It's breathtaking, seeing how small every person is in perspective to a whole borough full of them. Just as I was starting to enjoy how peaceful it was up here, I see some cars backed up and honking over by Harlem, so I decide to go check it out.

The landing is rough, but manageable. After I brush off the dirt and grass, I notice a huge shadow coming around the street corner. Can't hear a damn thing though, since there's a stampede of screaming people running away from the shadow. When the thing comes around the corner, I literally get a shiver up my spine- I didn't sign up for this today.

There's a woman riding on top of a tidal wave of water, and there are two disturbing things- One, it seems like her only covering is a layer of water that's connected to the wave. And two, whenever people get too close to the wave, they fall down while a liquid comes flying out of their bodies, called to the wave. She's sucking water out of them! I realize with a gasp. That's how the wave is staying that size!

Ok, trashing the city is one thing. But harming the innocent residents for your own gain is quite another. My hands form into fists and I take off, headed straight for her. She is too busy enjoying the terror of the locals, but before I can knock her off the wave, she spots me and an arm of water swung at me. The impact knocks me off course, but the residual electricity travels back up the water and shocks the villain.

She gasps as her hair goes in a million different directions, and then giggles when she realizes how much of a challenge I'm gonna be. "Finally!" She exclaims, throwing up her arms and stopping the wave. "Someone worthy to challenge me!" Since I was knocked into a building, it takes me a moment or two to respond, but soon I'm hovering in front of her.

"Pretty hard to challenge another woman without knowing their name, though." I say, keeping my tone calm. "Vortex." She replies, extending her hand politely. Normally, we would be fighting already, but I have such respect in women that I always do this. I know that shaking her hand is a trap, but I'm too nice. "Shadow." As I suspected, when I shook her hand, I could feel her sucking water out, but I shocked her with my finger and she stopped.

"It's gonna be so sad to have to take out such a polite adversary," Vortex muses sadly. "Anyone else would have me in chains already." I nod my head in agreement, but remain silent. I sink to the road, and she understands the message, cuz she dissolves the wave and soon we're both standing face-to-face on solid ground. Every victim of dehydration gets revived and stands up, confused at what was happening. We take up fighting stances, nod to each other, and the fight begins.

She seems to have learned all her moves from watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, since she calls water to her arm until it resembles a tentacle, and then swings it at me. I easily dodge it, and point a finger at her, letting loose a few volts. Not enough to kill her, but she won't be making much sense after it hits her. She sees it coming and surrounds herself in a ball of water, which absorbs the shock.

"Damn, she's smart." I mutter under my breath. I put up a screen to try and confuse her, and I think it works. The screen makes it seem like I've dissappeared, and she frantically looks around for me. As I sneak up on her, I make sure to bring the screen with me, but my energy's quickly draining. "Since when can you teleport?!" she shouts, eyes wide as she scans the ruined street around us. Behind her, I take down the screen and put one hand on her neck, sending a huge shock into her system. She screams and her arm shoots out defensively, landing on me and sucking water out to try and gain back some energy, I guess. 

But I place my other hand on her neck, and she collapses. All the water drips back into the sewers... including the layer she was currently using as clothing. I cover my eyes out of respect, and grab a spare cloth from the bed of a nearby truck. I throw it over her before anyone can see anything, and charge it slightly so that it won't fall off. She groans on the ground, and as she was starting to regain consciousness, I hear footsteps behind me. I turn around, and am surprised to see four new heroes walking up towards me- well actually, three heroes walking, one flying.

I stand up and brush off my hands, waiting for them to reach me. "I got it here, guys, thanks." I stumble and fall, landing on my side, but I try to act nonchalant. In reality, I was totally drained- I had lost a lot of water fighting Vortex. One of the heroes moves to help me, but I wave him off. "Tired. Long day." That basically explains it, and he nods in understanding. "The name's Iron Fist," he says as he backs up. "Here we got Lu- um, Power Man, Nova, and White Tiger." he nods back towards the others. I manage to stand up, but end up leaning on a tree. "Electric Shadow." The flying one- Nova, snickers at that, and I shock him.

"Well, if you guys mind taking care of her, I think I need to get home." They all nod, and move to apprehend the rapidly stirring Vortex. I can feel them looking back at me, but I start walking away, trying to keep my head up. When I round the corner, however, I collapse on the sidewalk, lungs burning. That fight had taken a lot more out of me than I had suspected- Vortex was pretty strong. Plus, I had drained my batteries using that screen for so long, so I didn't even have enough strength left to take off. In the end, I just hailed a cab and asked him to take me back to the alley where I had left my stuff. He keeps looking at me in the mirror, but I ignore it, looking out the window at the bustling streets.

DONE! I am so happy that this is finished, and I apologize right now- I suck at writing fight scenes. I kinda like it, but not really. So sorry it took so long to get to the first real scene from the series- Venom's gonna be in one of the next two chapters, promise! I'm also gonna use two of the answers from the earlier polls really soon, so please stay around! I just realized how boring this whole thing must sound for you guys... Its certainly not boring for me, but just cuz I'm writing it, probably. Ok, I'm gonna shut my trap and start working on the next part... Byee!! <3