𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙄𝙄

M I N A

"Thank you for your help." I told him, "I..."

I stopped and my eyes widened as his words echoed in my head; humble pie, pie...

"Shit!" I exclaimed, digging my phone out of my pocket and looking at the time.

"What's the matter?"

"Oh no!"

It was eight fifteen and I was supposed to be in work for seven. Since my car shit the bed, I'd been busing and was late almost every day and Jin kept threatening to fire me. Even if a bus drove by me right now it would have to go downtown first and I would get there well after nine.

"What is it?" The officer repeated.

"I overslept and I'm late for work!"

"You work?" he raised his eyebrows skeptically.

"Yes!" I snapped, "I know what you probably think of me, but I'm not like the rest of the people with no place to go, I go to school too!"I fought back another frustrated sob, "I'm going to get fired!"

"Where do you work?"

"Kim's Diner and its ...."

"I'll give you a ride, how's that?"

"You will?" I asked, surprised.

"Sure," he nodded, "I know everyone thinks cops are around just to write tickets and act like jerks, but we are here to help when we can and at least I can help you, most people in your place I can't."

"Thank you officer!" I had to resist the urge to hug him, "This means so much!"

"Well," he gave me a wink, "I figured with a name like yours it can't hurt to be nice to you,"

It was eight thirty five when I got dropped off by the officer who'd told me his name was Taehyung and also let me know that Crossroads had beds, but they were first come first serve and they may be full. That thought caused another feeling of the surreal; a homeless shelter? Nevertheless, I thanked him and after I got my bags out of the back seat, started to walk towards the entrance to the diner. I stopped when it dawned on me how it would look; coming in with the suitcases.

Ducking into the alley alongside the diner I walked around to the back and was relieved to see the back door was open to let some air in. I entered quickly and saw my luck had held out. Jin was busy in front of the huge grill and while his back was to me, I moved as quickly as I could across the room until I had reached the storage room. I slipped inside and closing the door fumbled around in the dark until I found the string attached to the lone bulb that lit the room.

Placing my grey suitcase on a box I opened it and removed the less wrinkled of my three black Kim's Diner t-shirts and stuck my name tag to it. I stripped last night's clothes off and pulled on my black jeans. I tugged the shirt over my head and frowned as I caught a whiff of something funky. I rolled my eyes when I discovered it was under my arms that smelled funky.

Grabbing my deodorant the thought of where the hell was I going to shower tried to creep into my head. Talk about taking the little things for granted. With that in mind I took a minute to plug my lap top and phone into the outlet behind one of the long unused racks and closed the lid of the suitcase over them. Picking up a couple of empty boxes that I swore had been there since I started two years ago, I placed them on top of the case and shoved the other behind the rack.

I let my hair out of its pony tail and trying not to think about the fact I hadn't washed it since the night before last, I peeked out of the room. Jin was now at the tall counter and yelling at Jinsoul that the eggs had been there so long they were turning into chickens. Exiting the room, I closed the door and walked quickly up behind Jin as if I had just come in.