𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙄𝙑

M I N A

I stared down at the twenty knowing she'd given me a few extra dollars because of last night. My eyes narrowed when I noticed a paperclip attached to the twenty. Picking it up I turned it over to see a piece of paper clipped to the back. On it was a hand written note.

"Minari, I consider you a friend and value that friendship, if you value mine you'll meet me at two at Panera. Please come, I will be hurt if you don't. Chaeng."

I sat at the corner table in Panera bread idly stirring the tea I didn't feel like drinking and trying to avoid making eye contact with Chaeyoung who had just come in and sat down across from me

I sat at the corner table in Panera bread idly stirring the tea I didn't feel like drinking and trying to avoid making eye contact with Chaeyoung who had just come in and sat down across from me. We sat there for a couple of minutes the only sound being her placing her mug on the table after practically chugging the coffee she'd brought over with hee. Finally she cleared her throat and when my only reaction was to begin toying with my locket she broke the silence.

"Mina, what were you doing at Crossroads last night?"

"Well, I..." I was already blushing, "Money's been tight and I...I figured I could get a free meal and..."

"So you went to a homeless shelter? Try again."

When I didn't speak she finished her coffee in one long swallow and asked, "So where is your new place?"

"I told you it's near..."

"What's the exact address?"

"I moved into William's hall."

"Really? That's a little pricey for you."

"It is, but I had to move in a hurry and the rent eats up my entire check and I couldn't afford food this week so..."

"I know Jackson Wang." Chaeyoung said, "He's one of my clients, once offered me a chance to buy into the building. I checked it out pretty thoroughly. So tell me what floor are you on?"

I forced my hand away from my locket and staring into her eyes answered, "The fourth."

"Ah, that's not too expensive; they're only one bedrooms there."

"That's what I have, but its expensive for me and..."

"The only one bedroom's in that building are on the first floor." She sighed, "Why are you lying to me Mina?"

"I...I just don't like people to know my business."

"Manari, are you living in the street?" Leaning forward she put her hand over mine, "You can tell me, I'm not going to judge you, but I'm worried about you."

I could see she was sincere and had to admit her hand on mine had a comforting effect.

"Yes, I...I couldn't pay my rent last month."

"You lived there over a year; the landlord wouldn't work something out with you?"

"He offered a deal, but I didn't like the terms."