Chapter 3: Stay Onboard

The sight in front of him made his breath hitch, confusion all over his features. He was gripping a steering wheel tightly in his hands, but he wasn't sure how he got there in the first place. In front of him was a beautiful sight with the ocean calm and reflective of the tiny stars in the sky and waves splashing around carelessly. This looked familiar.

He turned around, taking his hands off the wheel only to find a little girl in front of him in a pink dress. "Rylie," he gasped, tears already forming in his eyes. "What are you doing here? It isn't safe!" And it wasn't. He could remember this day like it were yesterday. The sad and tragic day that he'd never forget. He may have adopted Rylie but she was nothing less than a daughter in his eyes. They were celebrating her ninth birthday on their small ship. Why the ship? The day that was supposed to be fun and exciting, turned into the worst day of Levi's life and her last day.

"Papa?" Rylie asked, trotting up to him. "Why are you sad?" She looked up at him innocently.

"It's nothing, just enjoy your birthday," Levi responded, forcing a smile. Levi wrapped an arm over her little shoulder and kept it there, wanting to keep this moment just a little longer before he were to wake up.

Levi knew this was all a dream. He'd dream this dream many, many times before. And still did five years later. Enough times to know there was nothing he could do to save his daughter from her tragic fate.

"This is really great!" Rylie exclaimed. "We should do this more often! Please, just like pirates do!" She looked at him with pleading eyes and Levi nodded slightly.

"Sure," was all he said in response.

"Look out into the ocean, isn't it beautiful? I think so!" Rylie giggled to herself and pushed some stray hair away from her brown eyes. "This is the best birthday ever!"

"It was, Rylie. It was. You know I miss you, right?" Levi asked his daughter sadly. His voice was filled with emotion and a tear dripped down his face. Levi planted a kiss on her head before releasing his arms from her little shoulder.

"What do you mean? I'm right here," she asked confused.

The boat suddenly began rocking slightly before Levi could respond. A surprised Rylie yelped as she tumbled to the wooden floor that she wouldn't have met if she were holding onto the railing.

Levi managed to surpass it however. With one hand gripping onto the railing he used the other to reach out for her. Rylie was in reaching zone. She would be able to grab his hand if she would just hurry before the boat were to shake again.

"Rylie!" He watched her attempt to reach her shaky feet. But she had to skip that step. She needed to get a hold of his hand first before the next one would come. "Get over here!"

He was going to do everything in his power to save her. Even if he'd never succeeded before. Yet. He was once again ignoring the fact that her death was going to happen. Every time he had this dream, he'd always found himself trying to save her in the end even if in the beginning of the dream he would tell himself that it was impossible. But he tried each time, only to wake up and feel foolish.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Levi? Levi? Are you okay?" Someone was shaking his shoulders urgently, trying to wake him up. "Hey!" The voice sounded like Harry's and it was concerned.

Levi creaked his eyes opened slowly, confused, and saw Harry kneeled down in front of his laying form. He felt sweat covering his body and mixed into his short, brown hair. Quick, shallow breaths were coming from himself as he stared at Harry.