Chapter 13: Them

Levi eyed the tip of the gun nervously, his whole body frozen knowing that by a simple movement of a finger someone could be dead and never return home. It was all up to the two of them with the weapons; no one else had any say. Looking at the eyes of the man and the woman he saw no nervousness in them like with the previous woman who had pointed a gun at them not long ago.

Levi looked at Captain Drake to see his reaction as the woman said in a demanding voice, "Hey, what do you have in your hand there? Whatever it is, I want it. Toss it on the ground, old man. Give it here."

The captain grunted and opened his lips that were drawn in a stern frown to say a simple, "No."

"No." What's the captain doing? Levi wondered, his stomach dropping. The young man felt he was making a big mistake at such a reply; one that would surely get somebody killed. Levi was as protective as the next guy of the radio but even he would give it up in an instant without question.

"Toss it. Give it!" Harry begged the captain in a hushed whisper.

"They're coming anyway," Levi reminded the captain. "Radio or not, they're coming."

"What? What are you talking about?!" the man with the gun demanded in an angry tone, his weapon that was once zoning in on one person to the next in a continuous cycle now training on Levi only. And the man with the gun took a threatening step closer. And Levi took a step back. "What, do you think you're better than me? Huh? Answer me!?"

"What? I don't know what you're talking about!" Levi insisted, surrendering his hands above his head in an attempt for some sort of mercy, but it didn't help in the least.

"You say there are people coming, did you not?" the woman barked.

Oh no. A shiver ran down Levi's spine when he realized he had accidently given them information on the coming rescue and he internally smacked himself knowing he might have just messed everything up. He wasn't sure what they'd think if he went all out and told them everything about the help. Would they make sure none of them step foot on that ship and maybe even slaughter every soul aboard it? Or would they be relieved that they were finally found after so long? He wasn't sure and was therefore uncertain what to say.

"T..there's nobody coming. You've got to believe me!" Levi answered in a shaky voice. He didn't think either of them took his reply seriously. If Levi were one of them with a gun and pointing it at someone who said who he just did in that quivery voice, he'd wouldn't believe them in the slightest.

"How pathetic," the man with the gun exclaimed out loud. He took a large single step forward and with both hands he violently smacked Levi's head with it, before swiftly stepping back. As the man watched Levi fall to the sandy ground in pain, hand on head, he chuckled. "That all you got?"

Levi held his hand on his head, blood seeping through his fingers. He collapsed to the ground after the sudden hit, the world spinning too much to stand on his feet. High pitched ringing sound all around making him unable to hear anything else. He couldn't hear himself speak, or think for that matter. He opened his squinted eyes only to shut them tight again when he found the spinning to be making him dizzy. The ringing was beginning to go down and he could hear April in the background:

"Levi. Levi, are you okay?" she asked with concern from far away. Levi only nodded.

He reopened his eyes and this time was able to do so without shutting them immediately. He was still dizzy but it wasn't as bad.

Looking around he saw the man seeming to eye April, a teasing smile on his face. Levi had a bad feeling. The man displayed the gun playfully within her reach but she didn't say or do anything to get it.