Chapter 11: The End Is Coming

Levi staggered ahead of April the moment his desperately excited eyes laid upon the forest opening they had gone through approximately half an hour ago, Harry and the captain both in sight, the captain looking irritated with his arms crossed against his chest and Harry looking very impatient as he gestured for them to come in a hurried manner.

Levi made sure to hold the newly found radio behind his back, wishing to see their expressions when he were to show it to them instead of revealing it when their faces were still blurred with distance.

"Guys...guess what?! Guess what?!" he chuckled when he was a mere five steps from the opening of the forest, five steps away before he was free of snakes and before they were finally together again.

As Captain Drake and Harry looked at Levi with confusion, their faces demonstrating pure uncertainty but also a hint of curiosity, April's voice suddenly filled the scene, her words vocaled in a loud and booming voice as if she were disciplining him:

"Levi, you can't just run through the forest with all the snakes and who knows what else in it! You know this! Noise attracts them, don't you see! So when you're quiet and careful, guess what? They don't hear you and therefore you make a safe exit! Do you see?!"

Levi nodded in understanding as she spoke, resisting the urge to cover his ears from her noisy voice that he wondered could be heard throughout the entire island, even though he knew it was more than unreasonable. His hand holding the radio that had previously been proudly in the air was now defeated against side, the radio being loosely held the moment she began talking.

"Got it. Sorry..." Levi apologized and awkward deafening silence filled the atmosphere.

"So...y-you found another radio in the plane?" Harry asked, interrupting the quiet, his voice marked with not only curiosity, but hopefulness. The red haired man was looking at the radio in Levi's hand. When Levi nodded his head at his hesitant question he spoke again, this time with excitement. "Did you try it?! Is help coming?!"

Instead of nodding or shaking his head to answer, this time he simply pressed the button of the radio, indicating that he didn't. Everyone listened intently, their faces as close as they could get, every fiber in their body waiting for something the happen, except Harry who straight up plugged his ears, too nervous to listen, fearful of static to follow which seemed to be the theme.

On the outside Levi looked unemotional, his face blank and seemingly frozen when a voice answered from the radio in his hand, but that was the complete opposite of what he was really feeling; on the inside he was screaming with joy and disbelief. Levi's mouth hung open as he trained his eyes on the device in his very hand, just staring, too amazed to do anything else.

"Hello? Hello, is anyone there?" It was a woman's voice. It took an entire half minute for anyone to respond to her and the only reason they did was because she warned she'd hang up.

"Yes, yes, I'm here!" Captain Drake answered as he swiped the radio from Levi and into his own hand then held it up to his ear. The captain spoke again a couple of seconds later, impatiently. "Say something! Say something, please!"

Levi listened to the best of his ability, holding his breath subconsciously as he did so. From the other end of the radio he could only make out a few words here and there.

"Send help! We don't know exactly where we are, but I can give you some rough directions. Please, we've been here for too long! There are people after us, trying to kill us!" Captain Drake rambled desperately.

A shiver went down Levi's spine as the captain continued. Seeing him so uncomposed, his emotions spilling out of him for the first time ever was certainly a sight to see, one that Levi hoped never to see. He'd never seen the captain so desperate.