Chapter 5: Island Full of Snakes

Levi dragged his exhausted body fully onto the sandy shore, and sank his fingers into the sand. His eyes were squinted tightly when a smile grew upon his face. He continued breathing heavily as he rolled onto his back. "I-I made it," he exclaimed. "I made it. I made it!"

He stayed this way until a series of desperate splashes prompted through the water. Toward him. He opened his eyes as he prompted himself up with an elbow. Red, long hair covered the man's face. The man leaped onto shore as soon as he could.

"Harry!" Levi gasped, looking up at him in astonishment. "You're here. You made it!" He fell back against the sand, Harry following suit and they both panted and panted for what felt like five minutes.

"Levi," Harry said finally, "w-what do we do? I mean, we're all alone. And..and they aren't here. They didn't..." His voice suddenly filled with emotion. He pushed his hair behind his ears in thought. He began staring tensely out into the ocean. Before long he was on his feet, pacing back and forth.

Levi pulled himself onto his feet, too, watching him. "I-I don't know." He dismissed his eyes from him and onto the island that they were now on. The sandy ground lead to a forest of tall standing trees, but no snakes were in sight. Not one. Were they on the wrong island?

He gave the water one last hard stare before stepping across the sand, rounding the forest. He needed to find the survivors. Harry followed after him. His padded steps and occasion sniffles could be heard.

While Levi walked he thought about the deceased captain and Paul. They had died. Neither him nor Harry could ever say goodbye to them. "H, I know what we must do." When he turned around he was greeted with attentive eyes. "We must give them graves. We have to."

The red haired man only nodded, before looking down and holding back more tears. "I know."

The two started walking again, only to jump in fear a few minutes later. Footsteps could be heard near them. And a voice spoke.

"Hey! Hey, who are you guys?" The two men turned to find a woman who appeared to be in her late twenties. Her skin was chocolate colored and her black hair was all knotted in a hair tie. She had on a pink t-shirt that hung over a white undershirt. She looked at them in alert.

Levi swiped some tears from his eyes, and said, "A-are...Were you in a plane crash?"

The woman nodded wildly. "Yes! Yes, now you're gonna save us, aren't you?" She had desperation on her face.

"Ms, I'm going to be honest. Actually-" He paused and his eyes widened when he saw the knife in the woman's hand. "What's with the knife?"

She looked down at her hand in confusion. "Oh," she replied, looking back at them, "the snakes. A precaution. Here...on this island...you need one. Something. They wander away from the forest all the time."

Harry gave a thorough overview of the surroundings, until he let out a loud shriek. "Look! Over there!" he gasped. A snake was a few yards away venturing toward them.

"Wait. Just tell we where we need to go and I'll tell them!" she insisted eagerly. She saw the hesitance in their eyes and said, "Tell me!"

"We're stuck here too," Harry answered, still eyeing the snake with fear.

She watched him, furrowing her eyebrows. "What...what do you mean?"

"We're stuck here," Harry replied. Seeing her questioning look he said, "Stuck. We're completely stuck here now. Now what, Levi? What do we do? I don't want to die on this island!" He looked at Levi with terror, than looked at the woman. "Come on! Where do we go? That snake's getting closer!"

She gestured them forward and they followed her. As they jogged the woman spoke.

"What do you mean? We're not going home?"

"I'll tell you all about it when we get into that hut you were talking about. When we're safe," Levi responded, and just then a tiny logged house appeared in the distance. It had something at the side of the house that made Harry jump. A pile of very decayed bones were occupying the now grassy surface.

The door of the hut opened with a noisy creek, and inside were a man and a woman.

The woman was standing tensely in the corner. She looked to be in her early twenties. Her skin color was very white and her eyes were a bright shade of blue. She wore a blue t-shirt and a white jacket was tied around her waist. Her hair was also all knotted, and she let her long brown hair sit on one of her shoulders.

The man was lying on the ground beside her with sweat all over him. As he held a full water bottle against his head, he squinted his eyes upon the two crew members. He had some slight wrinkles over his white face. But it wasn't as white as the woman's skin. His black hair was short and looked greasy much like the other two. He had on a blue t-shirt that was much too large for him.

"So, I'm April," the brown skinned woman said introducing herself. "Wendy," she said, pointing to the tense standing woman. And then looked at the ill-looking man and said, "That's Martin."

"I'm Levi and this is Harry." Levi looked between the two uncertainty, feeling as it he were intruding. He dreaded telling them about the news but he had to tell them. "There's been an incident."

He swiping a fresh layer of sweat from his face, suddenly realizing that he was breathing heavily. Everyone was breathing heavily. The island was hot but inside this hut was even hotter.

"What?" the woman now known as Wendy questioned, taking a step forward. "Incident?"

Levi glanced at Harry beside him before saying, "Yes. The captain, other crew members, and I were sailing to ship and were following the directions you gave us. Everything was going just fine until we felt the ship sway. Apparently a shark was attacking us a-and..." He paused, recollecting himself at the remembrance of Captain Drake and Paul. "We were lucky that we were close enough. However, we wouldn't have made it if weren't for the others. They had to die so that we could live."

Looking over, Levi saw that Harry had fresh tears in his eyes and some were making it down his face. He swiftly swiped them away, and set his jaw.

Martin looked up at them but didn't say anything. He looked to be on his way to death. Harry spoke up.

"What happened to, umm, Martin," he asked, watching as Levi opened to door to let some fresh air in.

"Stop! Wait!" Wendy cried at Levi, hurrying to the door and shut it.

The two crew members looked around the room, confused.

"Know why Martin looks the way he does?" Wendy demanded angrily. Neither say anything. "It's because we left that door opened. A snake got in and went and bit him. And now look at him!" She nodded sharply his way.