Chapter 10: Rich of Value and Danger

Levi's feet moved under him, steps being taken without any realization as if the sight his eyes attracted to was magnetic. His eyes focused curiously upon it, a hint of hopefulness sparkling in his eyes - the first hope in him after countless days on end of feeling nothing but fear and despair.

"T..that's not..." he asked in a soft voice, trailing off, "is it?" Levi's last words were just above a whisper.

Levi continued staring in amazement at the plane, dirt and branches piled on top of it along with a few...snakes that lingered over it. The door of the plane was wide open, the inside available for any that could fit through the inviting door. Who knows what kind of animals had found their way inside. Levi briefly told himself, but still his feet continued forward.

It was April who answered him, her words marked with hesitance as she hurried up to Levi and took a hold of his hand, trying to stop him. "No, we can't go in there. I don't want to step foot inside that plane, Levi. I don't want to see all those passengers...who lost their lives. I could have been one of them. And besides, by now they're probably picking up flies and snakes may be inside. Let's just keep walking."

"But...the plane might be the key! There might be something inside to get us home!" Levi exclaimed, his excited eyes looking into her pleading ones. Why doesn't she understand? "Another radio or something...I don't know. Or we could perhaps fly it off this island."

"'Fly it off this island'?" April said, repeating his words as if they were poisonous. "'Fly it off this island'? No! Of course we can't do that! Look at where the plane is! It's in the forest, Levi. We couldn't possibly do that, and not to mention it's more than likely busted by now. Plus no one knows how to fly one."

Someone cleared their throat noisily behind them and Levi saw that it was Captain Drake, a smirk on his face.

"What, you know how to fly a plane? Seriously?" Harry asked in surprise when the captain nodded.

"What, and you're some kind of doctor?" Captain Drake responded.

"But you also know how to defang a snake!" Levi added, flailing his hands in the air, a look of surprise on his face.

When it was obvious the captain wasn't going to give any explanation whatsoever to his remark, Levi just shook his head and turned back to April. "I'm going to just check the plane out," Levi said in a reassuring voice. But April still looked at him pleadingly, not approving of what she was told.

"Levi..." she muttered as she watched him walk toward the forest in order to get to the fallen plane, and she sighed heavily. "Then I have to go with you." After she said that, she hurried after him, leaving Harry and Captain Drake behind.

Why didn't you ask where the plane was in the first place? Levi silently asked himself as he stepped over to an opening of the forest. He looked around and grabbed the closest long, pointy stick by him and after a deep breath, cautiously went into the danger zone.

He could hear a pair of hurried feet behind him, ones he guessed belonged to April and after a brief glimpse he saw that he was right. She was likewise picking up a long and pointy stick before she dared to go into the forest.

Levi walked slowly, making sure to give a thorough look at the ground ahead of him before every step he took. He gripped his stick tightly, prepared and ready to use it if it were necessary. He zoned in on every piece of detail on the muddy ground ahead of him for half the walk to the plane until a sigh was pronounced behind him, followed by a slightly irritated voice.

"At this rate, we'll get there by nightfall. Come on!"

Levi gulped roughly and nodded his head. Moving his eyes off the ground for a quick moment, he looked ahead of him at the plane that was the safe zone in his mind, but also deep down he wasn't looking forward to see all the death that was sure to be just inside. Instead of putting his mind on the part he feared, he forced himself to think positively.