Chapter Nine

Your Part
What stood before us was absolutely astonishing. A magnificent chest board covered most of the room, its pieces bigger in size than normal people. Torches lit up the chessboard which was coloured in squares of black and white.

Ron stood beside me looking as if he was going to burst in happiness or scream out loud in excitement. "It's a...a" I stammered before Ron exclaimed in a very clear voice "it's a giant chess board"! "There's the door" Harry said pointing across the room as we all turned our gaze towards it. All of us except for Ron who couldn't tear his eyes from the chess board in front of him.

We all walked across, me having to drag Ron along who was still rooted to the spot. However when we reached the pawns in one swift motion they took out swords, stopping our chances at getting to the door. "Well now what do we do" Hermionie asked, in a slightly annoyed and nervous tone.

"It's obvious isn't it? We've got to play our way across the room" Ron said with a small smirk. "Harry you take the bishops square. Hermionie you'll take the queens side castle. Y/n you take the kings side castle. And as for me...I'll be a knight" Ron commanded triumphantly in a brave voice.

We all trooped to our places, Harry and Hermionie looking nervous. Although I suddenly felt a rush of bravery as Ron turned to all of us, a look of courage on his face, as he mounted the horse in which the knight sat on.

"So, What happens now" I asked. "Well...white moves first. And then...we play" Ron responded giving me a glance before he studied the game. A white pawn slowly moved forward. "Ron you don't suppose this is going to be like real wizards chess...do you" Hermionie asked anxiously.

"You there, D5" Ron shouts to one of our pawns. It moves diagonal to the white pawn which had recently moved and within seconds is smashed to bits by it with a sword. Ron gulps beside me looking as if all his courage has melted and as does mine before he speaks "yes Hermionie. I think this is going to be exactly like wizards chess".

And so the game goes on, pieces of black and white being smashed to the ground this way and that. "Pawn to C3" Ron commands as once again our piece gets ruined by the queen. We take a break before our next turn until I suddenly realize in horror of what Ron is trying to do. We had talked for hours and hours about wizards chess. He taught me almost everything he knew for me to not understand the game.

"Wait a minute" Harry said looking worried. "Ron no" I gasped looking to him. He glanced at Harry and I , worry written all over his face, "You understand, right guys? Once I make my move the queen will take me...then you'll be free to Check the king". My eyes widened as Harry shook his head.

"What is it" Hermionie asked obviously confused. "He's going to sacrifice himself" I mumbled with a huge frown on my face. "No Ron you can't" Hermionie protested.

"Do you want to stop Snape or not? Harry, it's you that has to go on. I know it. Not me, not Hermione, not y/n, you" Ron said grimly, not backing down. "Ron pls, cmon" I pleaded. He just gave me a sad smile as Harry nodded at Ron to move forward. Hermionie stood next to me her hand on my shoulder, as a tear slipped down my cheek.

"Knight...to H3" Ron shouted. I braced myself, my eyes shut in terror at what was about to happen. A loud crash and a cry for help told me it had been done. I opened my eyes to see Ron sprawled across the floor knocked out. "RON" I shouted making to move forward when Harry said deeply "no y/n, remember, we're still playing".

Harry walked to the king announcing "checkmate". The kings sword clattered to the ground in a victory. At this we all sprinted to Ron as I knelt next to his head, wordlessly playing with little strands of his hair. He looked awful.

"Take care of Ron. Then, go to the owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. Ron's right...I have to go on" Harry spoke gravely to us. I looked to him, my first best friend, as everything we had been through over the year flashed in my mind in a blur.