Friend or Foe

Rhea dodged a whip of water and charged forward.

The Avatar blasted a gust of wind at her.

Crossing her arms in front of her and digging in, she didn't fall over, but slid back a few feet.

She slowly brought her arms down and met the pair's gaze. "My turn." She lunged forward, summersaulting behind them, and kicked Katara's legs out from under her.

The girl toppled over, losing her grip on the water she was bending from the cask around her waist.

Rhea spun on her heel as she stood, facing the Avatar.

The 12-year-old air nomad looked a little terrified. Good.

Rhea took a step towards him and he swung his staff desperately. She blocked it easily with her sword, pushing the staff up and kicking the Avatar in the stomach.

He stumbled to the ground.

Out of the corner of her eye, Rhea spotted a boomerang flying towards her. Ducking, she slid beneath the weapon, spun to avoid Katara, who was just getting up, grabbed a knife from her belt, and thrust it at Sokka, who had managed to free himself.

The dagger stabbed through his clothes into the tree again.

"Oh come on!" He cried, yanking at the blade.

Katara, now standing, lashed out with a stream of water.

Rhea raised her armored hands, the water splashing harmlessly against it. She gripped a dagger in her right hand and threw it at the Water Tribe girl.

Katara tried to dodge, but the blade caught her sleeve and lodged in a tree trunk. Before she could reach to remove the first dagger, another one flew from Rhea's hand and pinned her other arm.

Aang looked at his immobilized friends then at his opponent. He raised his staff, knowing that he didn't have much chance of winning this fight.

Rhea charged forward, sliding on her knees to avoid a swipe of wind. She jumped to her feet behind him and grabbed his shoulder, forcing him to the ground. She pressed her knee down on his chest and held a knife to his throat.

He met her gaze. There was so much fear in his eyes, fear and defiance, like she imagined her own eyes looked when she faced the Fire Lord. There was pain and anger, but also pity.

Rhea blinked back tears as her blade slipped ever so slightly away from his throat. These teens were facing the same thing she was, but they were winning. They weren't letting their fear control them.

Something rustled in the forest nearby.

Rhea's mind immediately went to her men, who were no doubt searching for her.

She sheathed her knife and stood. "Go." She walked over to Katara and Sokka, easily loosing the daggers that held them. "While you still have a chance."

"What?" The Avatar stared at her in disbelief as he rose to his feet.

The rustling got closer.

"Go." She said more sternly. "I'm showing you mercy, but they won't." She gestured to the forest.

"Why?" He asked, not moving.

"Because you're the worlds only chance." She explained. "My only chance." She said the last part under her breath, but he must have heard it, because he gave her a sad look. "Now go. Save your friend." She urged, snapping out of her sorrow.

Katara grabbed Aang's arm and pulled him into the trees.

The group disappeared and Rhea turned to face her new opponent. Her mask muffled the sound as she took a deep breath. She adjusted her hood to shadow more of her face and put her knives away. They wouldn't do her much good. She might be able to talk her way out of this.

The bushes shook and suddenly a group of soldiers marched out of the trees, but the weren't Rhea's men. They were led by a 16-year-old boy with a black ponytail and a large scar on the left side of his face. Zuko.

Rhea blanched. She hadn't expect him to be here. Although, she didn't know why she was surprised. Wherever the Avatar went, Zuko went too. He had a knack for finding the airbender.

The banished prince called his soldiers to a halt, all facing Rhea.

She grabbed the hilt of her sword. "Turn back. I don't want to hurt any of you."

Zuko glared at her. "This is none of your business mercenary. Get out of the way."

Rhea gripped her sword tighter. "This will affect the balance of the world. So, I'd say it is my business, Prince Zuko. Or should I even call you that?"

Zuko growled. "You have no idea who you're dealing with."

Rhea stared him down. "I think I know enough."

He blasted a ball of fire at her.

Raising her arms in an "X", she split the flames and pushed them aside. "Is that the best you can do?"

Zuko was caught off guard by her fireproof armor. His eye widened, before he reclaimed his composure. He glared intensely at her and exhaled a puff of fire.

The two charged each other.

Rhea refused to use her weapons. She didn't want to hurt Zuko, but he obviously didn't recognize her, or didn't care, because he came at her with everything he had.

Fire flared over her head and ignited the trees around them.

Rhea ducked the attacks, trying to get behind Zuko. Once there, she grabbed his arm and twisted it behind his back.

Almost growling, Zuko wrenched himself around and hurled Rhea across the grass.

She rolled across the lawn, her hood and mask falling away from her face. Her thick ponytail fell over her shoulder as she pushed herself to her feet, shrouding her face from view.

When she turned to face Zuko, he blanched, flames dying away in his hand. "Rhea?"