Apologies

"Let me explain." Rhea pleaded as Katara tried to close the door.

"There's nothing to explain." She readied to slam the door in Rhea's face. "You're not getting anywhere near Aang."

"Please, Katara!" Rhea took a desperate step forward.

"What's going on?" Aang appeared behind Katara in the doorway. He froze when he saw their visitor. "Rhea."

Rhea hung her head. "I came to apologize." She looked at Katara. "For everything."

"Well, now you have. Thanks for stopping by." She started closing the door.

"Wait!" Aang jumped forward and stopped her. "We should give her a chance."

"Why?" Katara challenged. "What has she done to deserve that?"

Aang looked her straight in the eye. "She saved Bato, not to mention us."

Katara sighed and released her hold on the door. "Fine, but I'm watching you."

Rhea nodded and followed Aang into the house.

Azara tried to follow them, but Rhea turned and stopped her.

"No." Rhea commanded. "Wait here."

The armadillo-wolf whimpered.

Rhea sighed. "I'll be right back. I promise. Just stay here. No one can hurt me if you keep them out." She smiled.

The wolf made a grunt that sounded oddly like a sigh and laid down on the front step.

"Good girl." Rhea stroked her neck and stepped inside.

"Where did you get an armadillo-wolf?" Aang asked as they sat down on mats placed on the floor.

Rhea chuckled. "I found her in the woods and she never left."

"Hmm... cool." Aang laughed as a lemur leapt out of nowhere and landed on his shoulder.

Rhea grinned awkwardly. This was uncomfortable. She didn't know how to act around them. "I owe you an apology."

Aang quieted, grabbing the lemur and holding it in his lap.

Rhea took the deep breath. "I never wanted to be the Fire Lord's assassin."

Katara flinched at the word.

"I didn't chose this life." She looked at Katara. "I know what it's like to lose everything to the Fire Nation. They invaded my home, destroyed everything... they killed my family. The only reason I survived... is because of Iroh. He was a Fire Nation General - my enemy; and he saved me." She choked back tears. "I'm so sorry for what I did to you. It wasn't my choice, but I'm done following the Fire Lord's orders. He can't control me anymore. I am not his puppet." Her voice faltered and she squeezed her eyes shut. She hadn't felt this vulnerable in a long time. She took a deep breath and blinked back the tears.

Aang and Katara were speechless.

Rhea stood. "It's okay. I understand if you can't forgive me. I didn't really expect you to." She walked towards the door.

"Wait." Surprisingly, Katara's voice beckoned her to stop.

She turned.

Katara was holding it together, but her eyes were wet. "I didn't know."

Rhea nodded. "No one did. Except Iroh, his niece and nephew, and the Fire Lord."

Katara hesitated before she spoke up again. "What did the Fire Lord... do to you?"

Rhea chuckled darkly. "Trust me, it's better not to know. It was a fate worse than death."

Katara hung her head. "I know the feeling."

Rhea met her gaze. "I guess we're more alike than we thought."

Katara sighed. "I guess so."

Aang sat on the floor, stroking the lemur in his lap as he watched the girls intently. All that was missing was a bag of fire flakes and he would look like an enthusiastic spectator at the theatre.

As Rhea was about to make a comment, Sokka walked into the room. He froze when he noticed her.

He gulped down the bite of apple he had been chewing. "What's SHE doing here?" He pointed confusedly at Rhea.

Rhea took a deep breath. Time to explain everything... again. "I came to apologize... for everything. The Fire Lord forced me to hunt you, but he can't control me anymore. I'm not on his turf."

Sokka squinted as he stared at her while she explained. "Fair enough. Apology accepted."

"Really?" She almost laughed. "Just like that?"

He nodded. "Yep."

"No threats, no revenge, just 'okay'?" She tried to drag more of an answer out of him.

He looked at her curiously. "Take revenge for what? I'm pretty sure we got even when we left you paralyzed in an abbey with a crazy banished prince."

"He's not crazy." Rhea defended.

They all looked at her skeptically.

She sighed. "He's my cousin... by adoption anyway."

Everyone blanched, not sure what to do or say.

A young girl with black hair walked into the room. Rhea could tell by her cloudy eyes that she was blind. "What's going on in here?" She asked in a loud voice. "And who's this chick?" She pointed at Rhea.

"This is Rhea." Katara introduced. "She was a Fire Nation assassin sent to capture Aang," for a minute it seemed like that's where she would end it, but she continued. "but she helped us instead." Katara met Rhea's gaze, an apology showing in her eyes.

Rhea nodded as if accepting it.

The blind girl scoffed. "And you just let her in the house? She may have let you go once, but that doesn't make her your friend."

Rhea smiled at the girl's caution. "I like this girl." She stepped in front of her. "I'm Rhea."

"So I've heard." The girl replied, arms crossed. "I'm Toph."

They stood there for a while, sizing each other up.

Finally, Rhea noticed the sun going down.

She turned to the others. "Well, I should probably go. I've got to find a place to crash for the night." She started for the door.

"Wait!" Katara said instinctively. She turned and quietly discussed with the others. "Why don't you stay with us." She offered. "We have plenty of room."

Rhea held back her tears, trying to act nonchalant. "Sure. I guess I don't really have anywhere else to go."

Katara smiled as if she were actually glad Rhea had accepted. "This way." She urged. "I'll show you your room."

A/N
I AM SO SORRY GUYS!!!!! I'm so bad at updating this story. Hopefully, you all don't hate me. With that said, I apologize in advance for how long it will probably take me to do the next part as well. I'm sorry if this is annoying. It frustrates me too.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I'll try to get the next one out sooner.
Thanks for sticking with it.
-Cheshire