Siege

"Yes!" Zhao shouted triumphantly. "I've done it! I've darkened the moon!"

"Zhao!" Rhea cut in front of him. "This is madness. Disrupting the balance will effect more than the Waterbenders."

He glared at her. "You're starting to sound like Iroh."

"Good." She retorted. "At least I'm doing something right." She gripped the hilt of her sword. "Now, put it back."

Zhao just glared at her.

Suddenly, a flying bison soared overhead and landed in the grass. The Avatar. Their group jumped to the ground, blocking the exit.

Iroh appeared, seemingly out of nowhere and raised his arms, ready to attack. "Disrupting the balance will effect more than just the Waterbenders, Zhao."

The admiral simply glared at him.

"Whatever you do to that spirit, I will release on you ten-fold. Let it go, now!" This was the first time Rhea had ever heard Iroh this serious about something. It wasn't exactly anger, but it was about as close as he'd ever gotten.

Zhao hesitated before lowering the sack and letting the white fish swim out. He stared at the black spot on its back. Enraged, he slashed his hand through the air and a trail of fire burned across the surface of the water.

"No!" Rhea lunged forward, tackling Zhao to the ground.

He fought his way free and blasted Rhea with a spurt of flames that sent her rolling across the grass.

Iroh released a string of fire, but Zhao dodged it and disappeared.

Rhea slowly pushed herself onto her hands and knees. Everything hurt. Her mask lay scorched on the grass nearby. She wouldn't be hiding her identity anymore. Forcing herself to stand, she turned to face the others.

Katara gasped and stepped in front of Aang.

Sokka moved to protect a girl around his age with pure white hair.

She locked eyes with Iroh. He knew who she was. Zuko had probably told him what she'd done. He probably hated her, like everyone else. She bolted for the door, leaving before they had the chance to attack.
————
Rhea collapsed into a narrow alley between buildings. She didn't know what to do. Zhao had won. She stared up at the now moonless sky. The Waterbenders were powerless.

A blue glow flooded into the alley and Rhea jumped to her feet.

What looked like a massive wave walked past the opening.

Rhea jumped out of hiding.

The Waterbenders were on their knees.

At the center of what Rhea now saw was a massive creature made of water, was the Avatar, his eyes and tattoos glowing. The head of the creature looked vaguely like a koi fish.

Rhea gasped. The ocean spirit. The ocean and the moon worked hand in hand, almost like one spirit. When Zhao had killed the moon, he'd angered the ocean.

Rhea wasn't sure if she should be terrified or relieved. Zhao hadn't won after all, but what would this spirit do to her.

As if he sensed her presence, the spirit turned. The Avatar was staring right at her, right through her. It felt like he was looking into the darkest depths of her being.

Rhea's heart skipped a beat and her breaths grew shaky.

Finally, the Avatar turned and continued down the canal towards the Fire Nation fleet.

Rhea let out a long breath and dropped to her knees. He had spared her. But why?
————
Rhea kicked a soldier over the side of the ship.

More soldiers advanced.

She twirled her dagger. "Sorry boys, but you're out of the job." She clenched the dagger in her fist. "Now, if you wouldn't mind vacating MY ship."

In response, the soldiers raised their spears.

Rhea shrugged. "Have it your way."

The soldiers charged her.

She ducked one of the weapons and sliced the end off of another. Forcing another spear head down, she snapped the weapon in half and shoved the soldier over the side of the ship. The rest of the men endured a similar fate, each one tossed over the side.

Someone approached her from behind.

She whirled, holding her dagger to her visitor's throat. "Captain." She lowered the blade.

"That didn't go quite as planned." He looked back at the North Pole's damaged wall.

"Does it ever?" Rhea's smile fell. "At least Zhao is out of the picture. One less maniac to deal with."

The captain nodded.

She took a deep breath. "Speaking of which." She grabbed his arm and flipped him over the side. She held him, dangling above the water. "I'm sorry, but we need someone on the inside."

He nodded and Rhea dropped him into the icy ocean with the rest of the crew.

She turned back to the ship. Now, how was she going to sail the ship by herself?

A/N
Yay! That was sooner than I expected. 😁 This is a shorter chapter, but there wasn't too much to say. Hope you're all enjoying the story. It might be a little while before I update again. Sorry in advance. 😅
-Cheshire