The North Pole

Rhea leaned against the railing of the ship, letting the ocean breeze toss her long hair. She closed her eyes and felt the cold air fill her lungs as she took a deep breath.

They were approaching the North Pole.

A soldier walked up behind her and she turned to face her uninvited guest. She paused when she saw a familiar face. "Captain?"

He smiled warmly. "Ma'am. I'm sorry we didn't get back to you. We were..." He looked over to Zhao's ship, which skimmed through the water to their left. "... otherwise occupied."

Rhea sighed. "You were drafted. Me too."

The captain stood beside her, staring out to sea. "This could be our chance."

"Our chance to what?" She straightened and looked at the captain.

"To remove an obstacle." He spoke vaguely and Rhea began to understand why.

"That's too risky." She protested.

"What other choice do we have?" The captain met her gaze. "We both know the war won't end unless the current leaders are removed."

"I know," Rhea assured, "but... I have to be the one to do it."

"Why?" The captain asked.

"Because you're too valuable where you are." She explained. "Having someone on the inside could be the key to our victory and you have a much better chance getting information than I do." She placed a hand on his shoulder. "They'll never trust me enough to tell me anything of importance, but they might tell a loyal captain."

He simply stared at her, expressionless.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but..."

"No." He interrupted. "You're right. I'll do what I can from here. Just be careful." He urged.

Rhea nodded curtly. "You better go before someone gets suspicious."

The captain nodded and walked away disappearing into the ship.
————
Zhao circled Rhea like a predator stalking its prey.

"What did you wish to speak with me about, Admiral?" Rhea finally broke the silence.

He smirked. "Right to the point. You always were direct."

"Perhaps that's why I succeeded where you failed." She taunted him.

The admiral growled. "I have a special task for you when we get to the North Pole."

"A 'special' task." Rhea repeated. "How cute? You need me to accomplish your greatest conquest."

He clenched his fists. "No, I'm just... taking advantage of your presence." He took a deep breath. "You will ensure that I get to a certain pond in the center of the North Pole."

"So I'm your bodyguard." She guessed, giving Zhao a mischievous look.

He glared menacingly at her. "Call it what you wish, but you WILL do this for me."

"And what makes you so sure?" Rhea challenged.

Zhao smirked. "The fact that I have the only person you care about on my ship."

Rhea met his gaze confusedly.

"Iroh has agreed to be my general." He explained, his chest swollen with pride.

Rhea tried not to show her surprise, her worry. "He would never help you."

Zhao chuckled. "Oh he refused my offer at first, but tragedy makes even the most stubborn minds willing to bend."

Her heart leapt into her throat as she concealed her fear. "What did you do?" Her voice was slightly hoarse from holding back the whirlwind of emotions inside her.

Zhao smirked, his expression one of pure evil. "Let's just say, you have one less person to worry about."

She stepped back as the pieces clicked into place. Zuko. "You're a monster." She met his gaze, angry tears leaking down her cheeks.

"No." He corrected. "I'm an admiral." He walked out of the room.
————
"Wear this." One of Zhao's soldiers commanded.

"Why?" Rhea just stared at the white mask that looked vaguely like the soldiers' helmets.

"Because, if you don't follow orders, you won't have anyone left to care about." The soldier threatened.

Rhea didn't look at him as she snatched the mask from his hand. "If that day ever comes," she slid the mask over her face and turned to face the soldier, "you'll regret it."

"Is that a threat?" The soldier asked.

"No," Rhea explained, "it's a simple fact. The day I lose everything, is also the day I have nothing to lose." She twirled a knife between her fingers before sheathing it inside her boot.

The soldier walked stiffly out of the room.

Rhea smirked beneath her mask, the red cloth covering her mouth and nose making it look like a bleeding skull. She pulled up her hood and strapped her sword around her waist. Time to go to war.
————
Rhea stood next to Zhao at the prow of his ship, waiting for a chance to enter the Northern Water Tribe.

The fleet had already begun its attack.

Rhea watched helplessly as balls of Fire collided with the icy wall.

The Water benders struggled to hold off the Fire Nation soldiers.

Rhea hung her head. There had to be a way to stop this, but how. What could she do?

Before she knew it, she was following Zhao through the chaos of the city. He walked purposefully towards the center of the Water Tribe.

Rhea did as little as she could, only acting when Zhao gave her a direct order. She didn't want to hurt these people, but she couldn't let Zhao hurt Iroh either.

They reached a wall of ice with a small wooden door in it.

Zhao didn't even hesitate before opening the door and striding triumphantly through.

They entered a pit like room in the ice. It was warm and grass grew lushly on the ground. Two bridges allowed access to a small island with a pond in the middle of it.

Zhao walked over to the pond where two Koi fish swam in a circle around each other. He stared at the two fish before pulling a bag from his belt and catching the white koi in it.

The moon turned red.

A/N
Yay! I did it.
Hope you enjoyed the chapter. I'll try to get the next one out soon.
-Cheshire.