Thirteen: Brooke

"So...what were you two up to last night?" Edgar drawls, while we survey the pairings chalked on the board: 

Cassie versus Amy

Isaac versus Phoebe

Jo versus Edgar

Plato versus Brooke

Dex versus Sam

"Training," Isaac replies, in that casual way of his, "I did ask you if you wanted to come."

Edgar snorts, "No. It was clear you two wanted some private time." Isaac raises an eyebrow as the three of us sit down and the first pairing enter the ring. Amy must be the name of the Abnegation-transfer. 

"You will fight until one of you concedes or one of you can't fight anymore. A brave man acknowledges the strength of others. Remember that. Never forget it," Amar says, and then nods to Cassie and Amy, "Good luck. You may begin Initiates."

"Besides," Edgar whispers to Isaac, "It's not like I need any training."

"Says the one against Jo," Isaac retorts. 

Edgar shrugs, "I can take her. It's my turn to get back at her after what she did in the Cafeteria."

Isaac shakes his head and I turn my attention on the fight, just as Amy makes the first move and punches Cassie right in the nose. 

"Ow!" Cassie cries out. 

"Listen to me very carefully. Both of you," Isaac says to me and Edgar in a low voice, "Before your fight, I want you to taunt your opponent. They'll get angry or they'll feel insecure. Either way, it'll mean that they're more likely to make a mistake and you have more of a chance of winning."

"Why are you helping us?" Edgar hisses, his thoughts echoing mine, "It's everyone for themselves here."

Cassie glares at Amy and punches at her whilst her other hand holds her nose. She misses and Amy kicks her to the shin. Cassie falls to the floor.

Isaac smiles enigmatically, "It might be nice to have some friends join me in Dauntless."

"But we might beat you and you might get cut," Edgar retorts. 

"Right! That's it!" we hear Cassie yell, "I give up!"

Amar circles Amy's name on the board to show she's won, "Ok, Cassie and Amy out the ring! Next up Isaac and Phoebe!"

"I can't be beaten," Isaac smirks again to Edgar as he gets up, "Just you watch."

"Oh, I'll be watching," Edgar says as Isaac walks confidently over to the ring. Jo gives Phoebe a reassuring smile as she nervously makes her way over. 

"Initiates! Begin!" Amar shouts, once both of them are in the ring. 

Isaac towers over Phoebe, "You shouldn't be in Dauntless," he taunts, "You're nothing but a weakling. Ever since I've known you, you've been a coward."

Phoebe gasps and Jo gets to her feet, ready to defend the girl. 

Amar glances at Jo, "Sit down Initiate."

"But-"Jo protests. 

"That's an order. Sit down," Amar says. Jo looks at him and then reluctantly sits back down, Amar turns his attention to the action in the ring, "Stop teasing her and get on with the fight Initiate," he barks at Isaac. 

Isaac makes a sour expression, and then grabs Phoebe by the arm, who stares at him, frightened. He pulls her towards him and then gives her a sharp chop to the back of the neck. She collapses, unconscious.