Nineteen: Brooke

"Listen to me Edgar," Isaac growls, his high-pitched voice making it sound like a squeak, as we survey the chalk board, "You better win this time. You're failure is making us look like idiots." I wince inwardly at the bluntness. 

Edgar turns to Isaac, his face red, "My failure ?"

Isaac nods once,  his expression hard and cold, "It's clear you're weakest link in our group. It means that others aren't nearly as intimidated by us as they should be. Today's your chance to prove yourself."

It's the day after we visited Amity, and of all the people Edgar happens to be against, it's April. The one Isaac singled out for us to pick on yesterday. 

Edgar glares at Isaac, who sighs and rolls his eyes to the ceiling, "At least try this time, ok?" 

"First in the ring, Dex and Edgar!" Amar announces. Edgar heads, looking unsure of himself for the first time, followed by April, who is smiling broadly. It's clear that she's been anticipating this. 

Instead of sitting down, Isaac surveys the fight by standing up. If he's feeling anxious, that's the only indication I've got because his face is, as usual, expressionless. 

"Begin!" shouts Amar, as April and Edgar face each other off. April gives him a solid punch in the stomach. He backs away, but instead of giving up immediately this time, balls his fist and lunges at her. She seems surprised but dodges as Edgar seems to be naturally clumsy. April throws another punch, this time a right hook to his head. 

Edgar stumbles, "I give up," he says, clearly preferring the wrath of Isaac to another punch from April. 

Isaac sighs and sits down beside me, scowling. 

April walks up to Edgar to stare him in the eyes, "Like I said," she grins, her voice ringing loud and clear through the room, "I'm no 'pansy cake'. I'm Dauntless." She turns on her heel and gives him one last look of disgust, "Unlike you."

Edgar walks back to me and Isaac, the humiliation clear in his eyes, but he tries to cover it up with bluster. 

"She throws a good punch," he appeals to Isaac, but Isaac just ignores him. Edgar sits down, on my right side so he doesn't have to be near him. "Looking forward to your fight?" he asks me. It's clear that he's making conversation in order to ease the tension. 

I smirk, "Mine should be nice and easy." I'm paired against Phoebe who, although tries to stand her ground, has only won one fight so far. And that's been against Edgar. He follows my gaze to where Phoebe is sitting beside Jo and winces, as if remembering how fast he lost that fight. 

"Next up! Plato and Sam!" yells Amar, after circling April's name on the board. The pair head into the ring, with Sam grinning openly at Plato, who just stares at him with his usual sombre expression. 

"Begin!" says Amar, as the two begin to circle one another. Quick as lightning, Plato moves suddenly forwards and gives Sam an uppercut to his chin. Sam flails and hits Plato on his arm. Plato backs away and two begin to circle again. 

"Please Sam, " Even though Plato's voice is as quiet as a mouse, the nature of the room means that the words echo around, bouncing off the walls so we can all hear it, "Please concede. I don't want to hurt you."

Sam just smiles, "I'm afraid you're going to have to." He lunges at Plato, but Plato dodges last minute out of his reach, and sends another punch into his chest. Sam doubles over, breathing heavily. 

"Just give up," Plato pleads. 

There's a flash of anger and irritation in Sam's eyes as he answers curtly, "No." He attacks Plato again clumsily but again, he just dodges out of the way.