Twenty-Nine: Dex

"So, Dex," says Sam, "There's something I've been meaning to ask you."

Me, Sam and Jo are  sitting by Plato's bed after much convincing the nurse on his part to actually let us in. It's late morning and it's been an hour since Cassie and Phoebe left us for good. To be Factionless. 

Phoebe had been sad and had been quite eager to leave, but Cassie, who'd been crying, gave us each a hug before they were led off by a Dauntless leader. Along with Edgar, of course, who didn't even bother to say goodbye to his so-called friend Isaac. And now there are only seven of us Initiates in total. 

"What?" I ask Sam. 

"Well," he takes off his glasses and cleans them with the hem of his shirt even though they are already clean, "I don't know if this is inconsiderate or-"

"Just ask the question Sam," I say impatiently. 

"Is Dex your real name?" He blurts out, looking a bit sheepish. 

"Is that your question?" I blink, startled, "Why did you think that would be inconsiderate?"

He shrugs and begins fiddling with his green glasses again, "Well it's not really an Amity name and I didn't want you to be offended-"

"I'm not offended," I cut him short, "If you really want to know, my full name is April Dexter Meadows. Dexter is my middle name, but I cut it short to 'Dex'."

"Dexter is your what?" he asks, confused. 

"My middle name?" I say. He looks at me blankly. "What?" I ask. 

He shrugs, "We don't have middle names in Candor."

"Really?" I ask, "Why not?"

Sam glances at Jo, who's been following our conversation, intrigued. She smiles, "I guess it's because Candor like to keep everything short and simple. Even names."

"It's a bit like how there's no hand-shaking in Amity," Sam adds. 

Jo raises her eyebrows, "You don't handshake in Amity?"

"We hug," I say defensively. 

Jo pulls a face. "Ugh. Imagine hugging all the time." We all grin. We sit in silence for a few minutes, before Sam glances at Plato and then looks at his wristwatch. 

"Plato, we're going to get some lunch," he says, "But we'll be back later." 

Plato nods, and pulls the bedsheets over him. "That's ok. I should be out of the hospital wing tomorrow."

"Cool," I say, and we all head out into the Cafeteria. As we sit down, I say, "Hey, wasn't Amy going to meet us here after her date with Lyra?"

Sam shrugs, "They're probably having lunch together. I wouldn't worry."

"It feel weird with Phoebe and Cassie gone," Jo says, as she helps herself to food. 

"Yeah," I agree, "It's really quiet."

"Well," says Sam, "Not with you around, Dex."

I grin. Can't protest to that. And I say, "It's nicer without them though." Jo and Sam gives me a look. "What?" I ask. 

"You can't say things like that!" hisses Sam. 

"Why not?" I ask perplexed, "It's the truth." Jo and Sam just exchange a look and sigh. 

"Oh Dex," says Jo, "Whatever are we going to do with you?"

Amy doesn't show throughout lunch, but just as we're finishing off, she heads towards us.