#3 The Inquiry

POV Anna

I loosen my uniform's tie. My friends and I are at the big park right outside my school. Most of our schoolmates prefer hanging out here during lunch than stay inside.

Soon after Marge and I finish eating, Lizzie comes running to us. She went to buy us water bottles. "He's here!" she says.

"Who's here?" Marge asks. "Joe! Joe Felix is here!" she says. One second later and she wouldn't have to say that because now I see him walking towards our direction with his friends.

My fight or flight instinct kicks in. I hide behind the bench. He didn't see me. In a few seconds, he and his friends arrive at our spot. "You're Marge?" one of his friends asks her.

"Yeah," she says in a laid-back voice that skilfully hides the panic she must be feeling inside. "Did you post this photo?" he says. He must be showing her the photo on his phone.

"Yes. Why are you asking?" she asks. I've to say, Marge sounds exceptionally calm under the circumstances. "We want to know who the girl in the photo is," he says.

"I don't know who she is. Why are you looking for her?"

"This is my friend, Joe. He's the one in the photo. He needs to speak to her."

"Oh my God! That was you?" Marge says to Joe. Somebody give my friend an Oscars already. "Wait. Why are you looking for her? Isn't she your girlfriend?"

"No," Joe says. I recognize his voice. How could I forget? "Do you really not know who she is?" he asks.

"I'm sorry, I don't," Marge says. I promise myself to treat her more coffees in the future. "Why did you take our photo?" he asks.

"I was just filming the mall and you guys happened to be in my frame. So I took that photo and posted it."

"I want you to take it down," he says.

Please say yes, Marge. Please say yes. "Why?" she asks.

"It caused me a lot of trouble. Now that you know she's not my girlfriend, take it down before it causes me even more trouble."

I hear her sigh. "Okay," she says. Then she deletes the photo from her account and shows it to the guys. "There. Done."

"Thanks," he says. "Do you really not know who she is?" he asks again. Marge laughs. "I really don't know. Why are you looking for her anyway?"

"No reason," he says and leaves. As soon as Marge and Lizzie confirm the guys have left they help me up and we rush into our school. I never realized how safe my school feels.

For the next couple of days, I take precautions and keep an eye out for Joe and his friends. It didn't sound like Joe was looking for me for nothing.

Today, I have a match at West River High. We win by six points. After changing my uniform I find Marge and Lizzie in the crowd waiting for me. We decide to go to a pizza place. When we are near Marge's car we see a group of boys standing beside it. I quickly turn around and come face to face with the boy I thought I would never see again after our first kiss.

"Hello, Anna. Remember me?" he says.