#20 The Aftermath

POV Joe

One month later 

The girl moans underneath me and I wish she would stop doing it. Her voice is irritating. In fact, everything about her is annoying me, but I keep going. I keep moving inside her trying to stop thinking about Anna. But it doesn't work. As I come, I bite my lips to stop them from calling out the name of the girl I want to forget.

"You need to stop fucking every girl that comes to you if you don't want to fucking end up with an STD," David says.

I get it. I do. But I can't stop. No matter how much I sleep around, I'm not satisfied. I just want someone, anyone, to make me feel good at least once.

"You know maybe you should try talking to Ann—" Peter stops when I glare at him. "Fine, I won't," he says, raising his hands.

These days even my friends can't talk to me freely. I'm constantly angry. All of this would end if I could just erase Anna off my memory.

I can't stop thinking about her, about what she did. I feel betrayed. She used me to make her ex jealous. She was willing to do anything because of her bad break up. Even hurt my sister. Ruth didn't deserve any of that. 

I keep switching the channels not wanting to watch any of them. Ruth comes to the living room and looks at me. "You need to stop this," she says. I turn off the TV.

"You need to stop being angry with her," Ruth says. I get up and start to leave. She blocks my way. "Joe," she says. 

"It's none of your business. Move," I tell her.

"It is my business. If it weren't for what happened to me you guys would still be together."

I bitterly laugh. "We were never together. You know that."

"All I know is that my kid brother brought home a girl he first pretended to like but then fell for real."

"No," I say and that's all I can manage to say now. I walk past her. She says from behind, "I think I knew he was cheating on me." I stop.

"All those late night texting and secretive calls. A part of me knew it. Knew what he was doing. But I was too scared to believe it. I didn't listen to what my own heart was telling me, and then I paid for it. Don't repeat my mistake, Joe. Everyone around you can see it in your eyes and I know you can too, but if you ignore it, it'll be too late. She'll be gone forever."

I go to my room and shut the door behind. My chest feels painful as my eyes start to feel wet. I clutch my chest. "Fuck you, Anna," I whisper. 

I stand at the same spot I first saw her. Her shaky kiss still doesn't fail to make me smile. I take out my phone to call her, but then I see her right in front of me, walking towards the coffee stall at the opposite side. She smiles at someone. When she reaches the stall, I see her standing next to Mason. My palm tightens around my phone.