#10 The Favor

POV Joe

The door closes with a loud noise reverberating inside the car. I take a deep breath. The scene looks like something becoming a regular between us. Why is she upset over it? I wasn't the one who made her lie to everyone that I'm her boyfriend. So why should I help her with that? Wasn't getting kissed enough? What else she wants from me?

After the practice, I take a shower and change in the dressing room. Peter asks, "So what will you do at the final match if Anna comes to watch it with your family? I'm sure the girls will notice her. What will you say if anyone asks who she is?"

"He could say she's the less known younger sister of his," David says.

"She's not my sister," I say slamming shut my locker door. "Chill, man. We were just saying. What's gotten into you today?" Peter says.

"Did you and Anna fight?" David asks.

"Why would we fight? There's nothing to fight about."

"Okay," David says, "Then will she be coming to the match or not?"

"How would I know? It's not like she's talking to me," I say. David, Peter and Alan exchange looks before David says, "Why is she not talking to you?"

"She wants me to meet her in front of her school, so her schoolmates could see us together. I said no."

"It's a simple request. Can't you do that?"

"Why should I? I'm not her boyfriend to meet her in front of her school."

Alan says, "I told you she likes you. She's using it to get closer to you."

"She doesn't like me. She just wants to use me to get popular in her school."

Peter smirks. "And how does it feel being used for a change?"

"Hey, the girls I sleep with know what they are getting themselves into. I don't make anyone false promises."

"Alright, alright. Cut it out. She asked him. He said no. End of story," David says.

"And she's no longer talking to him," Peter adds happily. I so want to punch Peter's face now.

We're at the arcade at the top floor of the mall, playing hoops. I give the ball to Peter for his turn when Alan nudges me while looking somewhere else. "Your girlfriend is here," he says.

I see Anna and her friends approaching the bike games. One of her friends gets on the ride and plays the game while Anna is talking to the other one laughing. I ignore her and face forward. "Aren't you going to talk to her?" Alan asks. I glare at him. He drops it.

After a few minutes, I can't hold back anymore. I turn to look at her, take out my phone and call her. I see her checking her phone, putting the ringer in silence and go back to talking to her friend.

She is not getting away that easily.

I go to her. "Part of the deal is you pick up my calls all the time," I tell her from behind. She doesn't turn around, instead types something in her phone. I get a message from her: If you've something to say, text me.

I grind my teeth. "You're acting worse than a six year old," I say. She still doesn't turn around or say anything. I leave her. Whatever. Whether she talks or not, I don't care anymore.

I swear at myself standing in front of the school. Groups of girls stop by to take a look at me like I'm a zoo attraction. I feel uncomfortable that I'm the only guy in sight, maybe even scared a little. I text her I'm outside the gate. I get no reply. After a few seconds I decide to leave but then I see her running out. She stops surprised as soon as she sees me. Then her face breaks into an excited smile that unconsciously makes me smile, too. "You said you wouldn't come," she says.

"And I thought you weren't speaking to me," I say. She smiles. "That was before," she says. It's scary how quick her mood changed. "Now that I'm here, can I leave now?" I ask. She nods. I turn to go back to my car and notice everyone looking at us. I can see why she wanted to do this in front of the school. I turn back to her. "I don't want to come here again. So how about we give them something more concrete?" I say.

"Like what?"

I bend down and kiss her cheek. The girls around us giggle and squeal. When I move away, I see Anna grinning from ear to ear. "You're the best fake boyfriend in the world," she says. I shake my head and return to my car. I don't notice the smile on my face the whole way.