Part 48

Mark watched the news for a while trying to understand how Matthias was going to play out this incident. So far Matthias was claiming to have attacked him and Matthew over the simple fact that they would have resisted the Pet being taken. That drastic measures had to be taken for everyone's safety. He even went so far as to say that Mark was going to falsify the results to prove his Pets innocence. Mark clawed his fingers across the top of the couch. Matthias was pulling everything out of his ass to remain on everyone's good side. It was sickening. Matthew suddenly turned off the TV, moving to sit on the coffee table beside him as he asked softly. "What are we going to do, Mark? We can't prove Sean doesn't belong there without revealing our own origin... and if that gets out... It will be chaos. We can't go against Matthias if he's got everyone thinking that what he did was justified." Mark let out a heavy sigh, crossing his legs as he sat up more on the couch. Sinking deep into his thoughts, he told Matthew honestly. "This is Mother's doing... She's using him. I just don't know why. It doesn't make sense."

Mark rose off the couch to pace, muttering out dryly. "Matthias has always been threatened my authority. The attack from the Slums must have pissed off Matthias. As head of security it probably made him look weak... That I get. Breaking into the lab to steal information of Sean to get any excuse to remove him... Sure. Fine. But this?" Mark gestured to the blank wall where the news had been, before adding bitterly. "If Mother is obsessed with ME. WHY is she letting him play king of Valhalla? She knows how impulsive he is! Matthias will probably..." Mark stopped talking and pacing. Matthew turned to face him better, answering for him in a grim voice. "He'll destroy the Slums and everyone in it. He's talked about it for years. He takes over as the new Master Elite and he can order it to be done." Mark shook his head, uttering out in reluctant disbelief. "No. Mother needs the Slums. She knows this. All our genetic research comes from there. She wouldn't..." Mark moved to grab the back of a dining chair to lean on.

Matthew stood up, walking around to stand behind a different chair as he told him gently. "She would... To get your attention. The question is... how far will she go to get what she wants? I've never known Mother to be... aggressive." Mark looked up at the open windows, upon answering darkly. "Aggressive, no. But manipulative, certainly." Matthew leaned forward to rest his arms on the table, when Nate suddenly interjected from across the room. "She's not holding the Slums against you. It's Sean." Matthew straightened up off the table to look at him with worry on his face. Mark nodded, saying softly. "I know. But that still doesn't help me find him. She could have him anywhere in the Slums. Hidden among thousands of others. I make the wrong move... She just might kill him." Nate limped closer, growling out. "I know of a place she might take them." Mark's eyes locked with Nate's, listening as Nate told him seriously. "The Trader in the Slums. He stores and moves cargo from a cluster of guarded warehouses. Some were even abandoned over the last few years when they fell into disrepair. Any one of them could be used to house well over a thousand shipping containers."

Matthew nodded to himself, then pipped up excitedly. "That's right. No other place in the Slums would be secure enough or could house that many people at one time." Mark raised a hand to stop their excitement, telling them firmly. "That still doesn't help. The second we try to find him amongst all that... She'll have made a move. I can't see another option... I have to talk to her." Nate tossed up his hands, answering bluntly. "Fine. You talk to her. Distract her and we'll go-" Mark pointed a stern finger at Nate, snapping out. "NO! You will do nothing!" Nate tensed, yelling back bitterly. "You'll let him die in there?! They are never going to give him to you! We have to act now, or we'll lose him!" Mark lost control and flung the chair across the room to smash it against the wall as he yelled out. "YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT CARES ABOUT HIM! You will NOT FUCK THIS UP!" Nate puffed up his chest, causing Matthew to rush over to wedge himself between them.