chapter 0.5

𝐜𝐡

𝐜𝐡. 𝟎.𝟓: 𝐢'𝐦 𝐚𝐧 𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐨𝐭

As a slightly irresponsible teenager with ADHD who tends to overshare, being born with powers was a recipe for disaster from the start. My father will tell you otherwise but I promise it wasn't my fault that my gym teacher slipped on ice in the middle of September, or that my partner and I's chemistry experiment caused the whole school to have to evacuate.

Regardless, dear old dad decided to switch me to homeschooling and send me off to Uncle Elias' mansion of a house. I'm pretty sure the old man just needed a break from his sweet and wonderfully unproblematic daughter.

"Well, where's mother dearest?" You may ask. Well, she's probably having the time of her life in Vegas either getting rich in a casino or lounging by the pool.

Kidding. I honestly have no idea where my mom disappeared off to but Levi swears that she's alive because he can 'feel it.' Oh yeah, Levi is my 21-year-old brother.

Anyway, it's been about four months at Uncle Elias' gigantic three-story house that he claims is not a mansion. He's got a pool in the back, a home cinema, a gym, his game room that I've nicknamed 'the cave,' a huge kitchen, and millions of empty rooms including one that I reconstructed into a dance studio because it's boring as heck out here. There's only so much time you can spend watching movies and I'm not going to the pool in the middle of winter.

Also, can I just say online school sucks? Maybe people will disagree with me however, I am just incapable of doing school. But I digress.

• ☼ •

After lying on the studio floor for about 15 minutes, I decided that I should probably get off of the floor and take a shower. Once I had done just that, I changed into sweatpants and a faded flannel that had probably belonged to Levi at some point.

I grabbed A Court of Thorns and Roses from the top of the stack of books on my bedside table. My love-hate relationship with ACOTAR made it difficult for me to not throw the book against the wall but I restrained myself. Reading the series for the thousandth time and finally reaching ACOMAF was worth having to put up with Tamlin the tool.

Once I reached the chapter that Feyre goes Under the Mountain, I glanced at the clock on my bedside table and grinned when I saw that it was only a little past 7 p.m. He should've just woken up, I thought to myself as I closed my book and opened my phone. I pressed the FaceTime icon and propped my phone against the pile of books on my bedside table as the FaceTime continued to ring.

"Hey, Bri!" Levi greeted as his face appeared on the screen. His messy reddish-brown hair was all the evidence I needed to know that my brother had probably just woken up.

"Hi, Levi!" I grinned before pausing. "Sorry if I woke you up."

"Nah, you didn't. I was about to start studying." Right, I thought, he's got exams before the break. I began to tell my brother about my week and how it was the same as usual. I did mention Uncle Elias trying to cook dinner and burning oil which made Levi laugh and joke about getting our uncle a chef for Christmas.