9

(Ethan's birthday is today so,,,fluffy time!!!)
( Satan_Incarnate_666 )

Norman rolled up his sleeves, starting to mix together the ingredients. Flour immediately glued itself to his arms as he stirred, the agent frowning at that. He wasn't aggressively stirring so to have the flour fall out was worrying. Was the bowl to small? Or was it just how much flour?

"Shaun? We don't have a bigger bowl, right?" The agent asked, looking at his step-son. The boy looked up from the recipe book and thought for a moment before nodding quickly. Norman hummed and continued to stir, eventually the mess of ingredients looking like chocolate.

"Is it time for the chocolate chips?" Shaun asked excitedly, setting the book on the flour covered counter. The agent glanced over the recipe before nodding, stepping back from the messy bowl to let Shaun add the mini chocolate chips.

Norman made sure the oven was pre-heated and the cake pans prepared, wiping some batter from his arms. At least everything went well so far, though there was still multiple other times for everything to go wrong. At least icing didn't need to be made, though pre-made icing wasn't always the best testing.

Norman glanced at the time, hoping Ethan wouldn't be home from a presentation he had anytime soon. He started cleaning the counter, only resulting in flour coating his clothes again. A small giggle was heard from next to him, Shaun most likely amused that his badass, FBI agent step-father couldn't clean the flour without hassle.

The agent found that amusing as well, raising a brow at the only slightly ingredient covered child. "Well, we'll have a while before the cake can be iced, so we can try and decorate or just chill out." He murmured, washing his hands for what had to be the tenth time that day.

Shaun thought for a moment, scrunching up his nose. "I can decorate, and you can go chill!" He announced in the best no-nonsense tone a child could muster. Norman smiled a bit, drying his hands before ruffling his step-son's hair.

"Alright, but tell me if you need help or the cake's on fire, okay?" He murmured, glad to offer Shaun the chance to be creative. After getting confirmation from the boy, the agent decided to just lay on the couch for a moment. Getting up early to wish his husband good luck and to start preparing for the man's birthday...and of course to say 'happy birthday', he was tired.

Yesterday he had boughten various types of small decorations, not all exactly birthday themed. None of it was anything that could put Shaun in danger; Norman made sure of that. The sound of the child wandering around and placing decorations around combined with the smell of cake made the agent feel relaxed, feel at home even more.

Despite feeling like he layed down a second ago, already Norman was back in the kitchen to take the cakes out of the oven. They looked perfect, and the agent could only hope that they'd taste perfect too. Before he could set another timer for cooling, he heard the front door unlock. He heard Shaun's rushing footsteps to greet his father, and Ethan's beautiful laughter ringing out at the hyper child.

There was no way to hide the mismatched yet well placed decor or the smell of cake, Norman choosing to awkwardly stay frozen in front of the counter. His clothes were covered in flour, and even some of his hair too. He had to look like a complete mess at that moment.

Yet when his husband walked into the kitchen, holding their son in his arms, three familiar words were spoken. The same three words were said everytime one went out and came home. Only this time the words were whispered with a tone of surprise, warm love flooding Ethan's beautiful eyes.

"You look beautiful."