16 (Matthew)

Alex showed back up to the apartment around seven, all smiles and grins. Maybe Hanna finally told him the truth.

"Hey, man," I said as he sat on the other end of the couch. "What did you and Hanna do today?"

"We went to the pool. I remember how to swim," He answered. He stared off into space, completely ignoring me for a minute. Then, Alex smacked my arm and turned to face me. "Dude, I don't know how I was ever just friends with her before. She's hot."

So she didn't tell him yet.

"I know she is, man," I answered. Alex looked away from me again.

When was she going to tell him?

He had it bad for her all over again."Did you and her ever... you know?" He asked me. I was crying tears of laughter on the inside. However, my face was emotionless.

"Nah, dude. I didn't even know her until you guys were-" Shit. I about blew it right there. "I didn't even know her till after we got this apartment and she helped us move in."

"Huh," Was all he said in response. Alex leaned back in the chair, thinking long and hard about something. Probably trying to decide if he should try and get with Hanna less than a week after coming out of a coma. Little did he know that techincally he was already with her. Well, at least he had been with her. "I probably should be trying to remember some stuff before I try and get a girl."

"Yeah. You probably should," I responded. Either way here, he was going to end up with her. I didn't care how, I honestly just wanted to see them back together. Sooner, rather than later. Neither of them seemed completely happy without the other.

"Hey man, you know who a girl named Selena Dobson is? She sent me a text earlier today asking how I was doing. But I don't know who she is." Alex asked. Shit. Oh shit. How did she know what happened to him?

"Yeah, I do," I wasn't entirely sure how to answer this question. How do I play it? "You guys, uh, dated, a long time ago. You guys dated our junior year of high school." So I told the truth. I couldn't lie to him about her. If he ever got his memory back, he'd be pissed at me for lying to him about something. And I did not need a pissed off Alex living with me. Ever.

"Huh," He said again, trying to process that. Suddenly, his eyes lit up. "Do you think she knows stuff about me?" He pulled out his phone and started typing out a text. "Maybe I'll ask her to meet up with me sometime. Maybe she can tell me about myself some more."

Shit.

I have seriously screwed up.

I am officially the worst best friend to ever exist.

I have screwed up everything.

That lying little bitch cannot come back into his life.

She'll screw him over all over again.

But I couldn't tell Alex that. He'd have to figure that out on his own. "Oh, yeah." Was all I said in response. "Maybe she does." And with that, I got up and left the room.

Back in my bedroom, I began dialing a number on my phone. It rang several times before a female voice finally picked up. "Hello?" She asked, sounding slightly confused.

"Zoey? I need you to meet me at the playground. Now." I demanded.

"What's going on?"

"I screwed up. Big time. I'll explain when we get there."

Twenty minutes later, I was waiting for Zoey at a playground between our two houses. I'd told Alex I had to go to my parents' house to fix their sink, which he easily bought. I figured that would give me enough time for Zoey to yell at me, cuss me out, and then finally help me fix my little screw up. Hopefully she could.

At last I saw her long legs striding across the playground to our usual picnic table. She looked so good, even in her sweatpants and tank top. I waved to her, like she didn't already know I was there or something.

"What?" She asked, looking more tired than anything. "What did you do, Matt?" She wiped the back of her hand across her forehead, like she was sweating.

"Selena texted Alex. And he asked me who she was. I told him an old girlfriend. And he doesn't remember how she screwed him over, obviously."

"What? And you didn't bother to fill him in?"

"No, actually, I didn't. He ran away texting her before I got the chance to say anything. I know exactly what she's doing, Zoe."

"I can't believe this. That little skank thinks she can just start all over with him. Why the hell wouldn't you say anything to him, Matt?"

"I don't know. And I don't know how to fix it, either."

She sighed, signaling she would help. "Well, we can't let Hanna find out about this."

"Okay. How do I keep him away from Selena though?"

"I don't think we can, Matt. I think we might have to let him figure this one out for himself. Maybe it'll trigger a memory."

"Yeah. And maybe she'll talk him right back into being with her again."

"We're gonna have to let him take that chance, Matt. He broke up with her for a reason. She freaking cheated on him. Not once, not twice, but four times. With four different guys, nonetheless."

"But Hanna-"

"Everything's going to work out, Matt. I just know it. He loves her. Not Selena. Maybe he needs to learn that lesson again. Now, I need to get home, okay?"

"Okay." I leaned across the table and kissed her lips. "Thank you."

She smiled and kissed me again. "No problem." She got up and headed back toward her car, swinging her lanyard in circles. She was so damn cute.

Zoey and I had gotten together about a month ago. At first, we just hadn't said anything to anyone about it. Then, everything happened with Alex, and we figured it would be better to wait and tell everyone when everything with Alex calmed down. Now it felt like sneaking around, and neither of us liked it, but us being in a relationship was not as important as Alex getting his memory back.

Overall, I might had just had my biggest screw up ever. What if Alex and Selena got back together? What if things never work out for Hanna and Alex? I'd feel like the crappiest person alive if Alex and Hanna never got back together. They were so perfect for each other; and Alex and Selena just... weren't. She was just a terrible person in general, and and Alex was a great guy. Hopefully everything would work out in the end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys! What did you think of a chapter from Matthew's point of view? I just wanted to add a little depth to the story by shedding some light on another character. After this, everything's going to go back to Hanna's POV, I promise. :)

Also, what do you think of Matt's big mess up by not telling Alex about how terrible Selena was? Is that really a lesson Alex should learn on his own again, or should someone jump in and tell him about it? Will Hanna find out what Madd did and that Alex and Selena are talking again? Obviously, if Zoey even hates Selena, there's probably some bad blood between Hanna and Selena.

Drop your answers to these questions in the comments! I love hearing your thoughts!