22

Two days later, I found myself standing in front of my closet, trying to decide what to pack for college. I was planning to live on campus, and the dorm rooms were nice, but they were of no exceptional size. Plus, I'd have to share with one other person. They Georgia Tech Student Resources lady sent out an email this morning reminding us to all buy Twin XL sheets. Of course, I hadn't looked at any yet. And I also came to the realization that none of my dresses were appropriate for parties. And I had no cute clothes for classes. They all had high school written all over them.

I still hadn't talked to Alex. He'd tried calling me a couple more times, but I left it go to voicemail on each of them. I just didn't feel like it was worth it. And I wasn't ready to hear what he had to say. Being suspended in an indefinite area of whether a guy loves you or not is better than having to know he chose a stupid slut named Selena. And I do not throw that term around loosely. I reserve that title for those special girls who deserve it.

Matt stopped by yesterday. I was pretty sure Alex sent him over. Don't get me wrong, Matt's a great friend and really does care about others, but he's not very good at being social. But he was nice enough yesterday. And I really needed a friend.

I was leaving for college in a month. And I seriously had nothing packed. And I hadn't bought anything, either. Looks like Amazon Prime was going to become my new best friend.

"Honey," My mom's voice boomed into my room. "Someone's here to see you. Is it okay to send him up?"

Shit.

Oh, shit.

What if this is Alex?

I don't have anything to say to him.

But I can't say no.

"Yeah, that's fine," I yelled back. I heard the footsteps coming up the stairs, but they didn't sound like Alex's. They didn't sound like anyone's I knew well enough to recognize. They were mysterious and foreign.

A small figure stood planted in my doorway. She was maybe 5'2, with shoulder length brown hair and wearing the cutest dress I'd never be able to pull off.

Lexy.

"Hey, Han," She smiled and waved to me. "Is it okay if I come in?"

"Yeah, yeah," I nodded, rmoving away from my closet and towards my bed. "Come in." She entered my room slowly; cautiously. Like she was afraid I'd change my mind and yell at her to leave or something. "But why are you here?"

"I just figured you might want to talk," She sat down on the bed next to me timidly. We weren't uncomfortable around each other. In fact, Lexy was one of my closest friends. I knew I could trust her with anything. It was just odd for her to be in my bedroom. At my house.

"Everybody wants to talk to me the past couple days," I sighed and leaned backwards, leaving out a big huff of air. I knew she just wanted to help, but still. Zoey wanted to talk to me. Matthew wanted to talk to me. Alex wanted to talk to me. My mom wanted to talk to me. And so did Zoey.

"We don't have to talk about Alex, Han. You know that."

"I know."

The room was quiet for a minute. Not awkward, just quiet. Neither of us had anything to say. Which was fine.

"Do you have your stuff ready to go next month?" She asked, turning to face me.

I let out a laugh. "Ha. Not at all."

"What do you need help with?"

"Well," I started. "Just about everything actually. Zoey and I were planning on going shopping in a couple weeks. Would you want to go, too? I need clothes that say 'college intellectual' instead of 'dorky girl straight out of high school'."

"Well, I can definitely help with that," Lexy closed her eyes and smiled. "College is fun, Hanna. Don't forget that. It's going to be fun."

And then we were back to quiet. The air was still. Everything was silent, except for the air conditioner wedged in my window, which hummed softly as it pushed cool air through the space.

"Why do you think he called her, Lex?" I asked. Curiosity killed the cat and all. I was the cat. And I was curious as to what her thoughts were. And so curiosity killed me.

"I think he was confused, to be honest," She put her hand on my arm. "He doesn't remember what she did to him. Nick was talking to him last night for a while. He still doesn't remember anything. If he knew how she hurt him before, I know he wouldn't have talked to her. Memory or no memory, I still think he's a good guy."

"I know he is. And I know he doesn't remember. But that doesn't stop the pain. I hurt, too. I just wish I would've been brave enough to tell him that I'm his girlfriend. Or at least, I was his girlfriend. I don't really know what I am at this point."

"Hanna, listen to me. You snd I both know that Selena is a rotten person. Everything will work out the way it's supposed to eventually." Lexy wrapped her arms around my shoulders. I fought back the tears, just as I'd been doing for the past couple days. Lexy seemed to realize that as she squeezed me even tighter.

"I really hope you're right," I whispered as I buried my face in her shoulder. "I really want you to be right."

"Everything's gonna work out, babe, I just know it. He can't go forever without realizing that he loves you more than words can describe." I felt her take in a big breath before finally letting me go. "Hanna, he loves you. Regardless of whether he knows it or no, he does. He's been going to a therapist who's doing memory exercises with him. Nick says that the doctor told him that it's possible that Alex could redevelop his memory."

"Really?" My mouth gaped open. That was the best news I'd heard since the accident. That was better news than graduating high school. "Are you sure?"

"The doctor says it could happen. And I'm hoping it does too," She smiled and looked away. "Nick hasn't been himself lately, either. All of this worrying about his brother has really taken a toll on him. He's hurting, too. I really wish I could take away the pain. But I can't. Just like you can't make Alex remember. There's some things that are just out of our control."

"I know. And I know Nick hurts, too. Every time I talk to him, I can see it in his eyes. He worries. All the time. Alex has a good family." I forced a tiny smile onto my own face.

"And a good girlfriend. Whether he knows he has one or not," Lexy hugged me again. "One serious question, then I have to leave."

"What?"

"I was wondering if you'd be a bridesmaid for Nick and I's wedding?" Her eyes pleaded with mine.

Is she...?

Is she seriously asking me?

Is this for real?

Oh. My. God.

"Yeah, duh!" This time, I hugged her. I couldn't help but grin at this point. I'd never been a bridesmaid before, and to be in Nick and Lexy's wedding would be incredible. Now I was looking forward to that day even more than I already had been.

"Good," I could see the happiness in her eyes. Lexy and I had become close since Alex and I got together. The four of us had gone on a lot of double dates. We'd been to the movies, dinner, bowling, and just about every other cliche date to exist. But it was always fun. And every time, an inside joke would come out of the evening. "I do have to go now, though. I'm working a double today."

"Alright. I'll talk to you later then?" I asked. She smiled and nodded her head.

"Bye, Han."

"See ya later, Lex."