SIX

I log into Zoom and adjust my laptop screen so my face is centered. I have a standing, bi-weekly appointment with Janet, my course advisor, to review my progress. I just wish I had more to report.

Drumming my thumbs against my denim cut-offs, I wait for Janet to join the meeting. My eyes land on the festival binder, taking up most of the countertop next to me. I scowl at it. I was going to spend last night studying for an exam in my Current Issues in Nutrition class. Instead, I read every single page of that stupid binder. The idea of Ty knowing more than I do about what we're supposed to be doing for the kickoff tomorrow was unbearable. I stayed up until two in the morning, reading.

I tug at the t-shirt sticking to my skin. It's uncomfortably hot again today. I hop off the barstool in my little kitchen and flip on the ceiling fan. Betty may not charge me for the utilities in this place, but I make sure allowing me to live here costs her as little as possible. I only turn on the AC when I absolutely need to. My flip-flops slap against the gray stone tile as I walk over to the windows that line the back wall and overlook the pool. I push them open, trying to get some air flowing.

As soon as I sit back down, my computer lights up with Janet's perpetually smiling face. "Hello, Quinn Kelley! How are we doing today?" Janet is always super upbeat. I have suspicions she's powered by nothing but rainbows and puppy cuddles.

"Hey, Janet," I say. "Doing good. How are you?"

"Every day is what you make it. So I'm wonderful." Janet has a tendency to speak in motivational quotes. It's annoying but oddly inspirational. "Let's talk about you," she continues. "Are you ready for your Current Issues exam?"

I sigh, fiddling with the ends of my ponytail. "Not exactly."

"Oh." Janet blinks in surprise. This is the first time I've ever been behind on an assignment. Ever. Thanks a lot, Ty Rossi. "Well, have you started working on the unit?"

"Yes. I've done all the reading. But, something just...came up. One of my friends had to help a sick relative, and she asked me to assist with some events happening here in town this week."

"Well, slow progress is better than no progress." Janet's smile is so bright it's like her teeth are made out of glitter. "And it's always important to give back to our communities. What if we reschedule your test for the following Friday? That way, you can focus on your events before you have to hit the books again. Will that work?"

"That's great. Thanks, Janet. I promise I'll be prepared." I decide not to tell Janet that my helping with the festival has as much to do with wanting to outshine Ty as it does with giving back to my community.

"Well, don't worry about things you can't control. You didn't choose for this to happen, and I am confident you'll nail the exam. Besides, you've still got plenty of time to complete your certification before the summer's over."

A grin spreads over my face. Becoming a certified nutrition counselor may not be as impressive to some people as a college degree, but I've worked hard for this. Just because my dad works at a marketing firm doesn't mean he makes a ton of money. When he can afford to help me, I have to put the money toward prescription costs. I've paid for my tuition myself, and I've aced every test.

It's crucial that I know what I'm talking about when I graduate. Taking on a career as a counselor means people will be relying on me, and I take the responsibility seriously. I never want my clients to struggle like I did while we were trying to figure out all the kinks in my own diet.

"I'm so glad you had time to fit me into your busy schedule this week because I have something I think you'll be interested to hear about." Janet claps her hands together excitedly.