EPILOGUE

I slide the binder across the table toward Paula, so she can see the meal plan I created for her. Thankfully, my nutrition binder is much smaller than her festival binder was. That thing would've put a hole right through Rossi's red-and-white-checked tablecloth.

Paula flicks through the pages, brows drawing together. My stomach is a jumble of anxiety as I watch. Paula's one of the first clients I've met with in person. I became a certified nutrition counselor a couple of months ago. Several people have signed up with me online already, but I still get nervous waiting to see people's reactions to the diets I recommend. Especially when they're sitting right in front of me.

I know what it's like to face the prospect of giving up your favorite foods. I hope to always add as many foods back into my clients' diets as possible once they're feeling well. But I remember how overwhelming it was to make those eliminations in the beginning. When Paula called me earlier this week and told me her doctor recommended she eliminate gluten and dairy, I could hear the uncertainty in her voice.

My toes tap inside my boots. I pick up my glass of ice water, take a gulp, and try to drown my nerves. Paula's still reading, so I force myself to look out the restaurant window just so I have something else to focus on. The leaves in the park have turned a fiery orange, and the street corners are decorated with towering corn husks, hay bales, and stacks of pumpkins. Summer may be my favorite season, but Rosedale is definitely at its most charming in the fall.

"It's hard wrapping my mind around the idea of not eating any gluten or dairy at all," Paula finally says, flipping the binder shut.

I nod in understanding. "Unfortunately, those are the two things that most commonly cause flare-ups in people with chronic conditions. If you're still struggling with your fibromyalgia in a few weeks, we can think about switching to the full AIP diet." Paula frowns uncertainly, and I hold up a hand. "But if you're feeling better, we can talk to your doctor and try adding something back in. Hang in there, and I promise we will get your diet optimized."

Paula's shoulders droop, but she slowly nods her head. "I like the sound of adding things back in, and I'll do just about anything to get rid of the pain at this point."

"I know the feeling." I smile sympathetically, hopeful that I'll be able to help Paula. I have the opportunity to make a positive difference in her health and overall happiness. I can't imagine doing anything more fulfilling.

"I'm assuming Nelson's triple-chocolate-chunk cookies are out of the question?" Paula slumps against the booth.

"Afraid so. At least for the time being. But," I lower my voice, leaning across the table toward Paula, "I've been working on a super-secret modified recipe. There's no gluten or dairy, and it's exclusively for my clients. You can't tell anyone, though. Shirley Nelson would come for me if she knew I was messing with her cookie recipe."

"You're right about that." Paula laughs. "Alright, Quinn Kelley. You have yourself a client. These recipes look incredible, by the way." She pats the binder. "Are you teaching any classes on them?"

A smile streaks across my face. "I sure am. Swing by the school. I'm happy to give you some pointers if you'd like."

My classes at Giselle's have grown in popularity since I started my modifications course. I made enough money teaching over the summer to pay for my business insurance and licenses. I've also kept up with the Instagram live streams, which have helped me grow my platform to the point where sponsors actually pay me to use their products. When I think about where I was a few months ago, I can hardly believe how far I've come. I'm helping people change their lives for the better, and I'm making a living doing it. It's everything I ever wanted.