SEVENTEEN

I'm too stunned to speak. Those three belong in this classroom as much as mustard belongs on pumpkin pie. My surprise is quickly replaced by fury, though. Because there's no way Ty, Chance, and Kelvin would ever willingly attend a baking class unless they had ulterior motives.

With the deadline for my grant application fast approaching, my future could be riding on the success of this class. The last thing I need is for a fake snake to come springing out of a pot or for someone's cassava flour to get mysteriously swapped with powdered sugar. I need to nip whatever sideshow they've planned in the bud before they can humiliate me in front of the entire internet.

My eyes dart to where my phone's propped on the tripod, broadcasting live over Instagram. I force a smile and speed-walk over to their workstation. Chance's nose is wrinkled as he examines a bottle of agave.

"Hey." Ty's smile is so full of warmth and sincerity I almost fall for it. But I know these boys and their pranks better than anyone. And they aren't here out of the goodness of their hearts.

"What are you doing?" I hiss, trying to keep my voice low as the room fills, and everyone takes out their recipes. Somehow, I need to get the three stooges out of here without creating a spectacle.

Ty's eyebrows furrow. "I'm here for your class." He pulls a piece of paper out of his pocket and unfolds it, smoothing it on the counter. My heart stutters when I see what it is—a recipe for his mother's coffee cake.

When we were together, the two of us spent weeks figuring out how to make a version of that cake that I wouldn't react to. Maintaining the flavor while substituting ingredients was a challenge. And it used to be my favorite thing in the world. Not only because it was delicious but because Ty helped me figure out how to make it safe for me to eat. It was ours, something we created together. I can't believe he'd bring it here.

He was there yesterday when I was passing out flyers, trying to convince everyone to come to my class. He knows how crucial this is for me. Now he's using that recipe to what? Try and trick me into relaxing my defenses?

I've been down this road with him plenty of times before, and I know where it leads. Someone will have a rubber rat on their station instead of a spatula or frosting that tastes strangely like toothpaste. And despite what they obviously think, I'm not dumb. I'm not about to fall for it. Not again.

"Out." I hold out my arm, pointing at the front door. "Get. Out."

"What?" Ty stares at me like I've lost my mind.

Chance and Kelvin snicker, and I shoot a seething glare over at them. Kelvin's holding a pair of dates in his hand. "They're like wrinkly, old man balls," he says, confirming my suspicions about their maturity level and intentions for coming here today.

"Look," I say under my breath to Ty, "I don't know what kind of stunt the three of you are plotting, but it's not happening. Today is too important for me."

Ty's head jerks back like he just took a punch. "We don't have any 'stunts' planned. And I know today's important. That's why I'm here. You were practically begging people to come to this thing. I'm trying to be supportive."

"No. You're trying to turn my class into a circus and embarrass me. I know you, Ty, remember? I'm not falling for your games again. We aren't in high school anymore."

"You sure about that?" Ty crosses his arms over his broad chest. "Because it doesn't seem like you can let go of anything that happened back then."

He's right about one thing, at least. I can't let it go. He got me into so much trouble, and he didn't care enough to even call afterward and make sure I was okay.

"Because you got me expelled." The words come out in a rush, three years of frustration breaking loose. "My dad almost made me move back to New York. You risked my future for a stupid prank, and now you expect me to believe you're here to support me? No." I shake my head. "Fool me once..."

Ty throws his hands up in frustration. "You are never genuinely going to forgive me, are you?" There's something like hurt dancing in his eyes. Guilt slams into me like a fist, but no. There's no way Ty was genuinely being nice by showing up here today. He couldn't have been. Right?

Anger mixes with uncertainty, making me question everything I thought I knew about him. Doubt swirls in my stomach, making me feel nauseous all over again. I reach out, but before I can touch him, Ty snatches his recipe off the counter. The paper crumples in his hand.

"Fine. I'll go. Good luck with your class." He brushes past me, storming up the center aisle and out the doors.

A hush falls over the room, and the buzzing of the fluorescent lights overhead is suddenly loud. Crap.

I let myself get so wrapped up in Ty I forgot to keep my voice down. I glance around. Sure enough, everyone is staring at me, mouths agape.

I heave a sigh laden with humiliation and something that feels an awful lot like regret and squeeze my eyes shut. When I open them, Betty and Giselle are watching me, lips turned down in twin frowns. Liv glances from me to my phone and cringes. I wish the hardwood floor would rise up and swallow me whole. Not only did this room full of our neighbors just witness my latest blowout with Ty, but it was broadcast live for the world to see. Freaking fantastic.

My watch vibrates with a notification. I look down to see my daily inspirational text from Janet.

Janet: Being the person who makes others feel included is the most beautiful thing you can be.

Talk about advice I could've used five minutes ago. It takes everything in me not to groan out loud. I do my best to plaster on a convincing smile and take my place at the front of the classroom.