THIRTY

Ty's eyes are fixed on the ground as I walk over to him. His throat bobs, and I can tell he's fighting to control some kind of emotion. I'd give anything to know what's going through his mind. Because it doesn't feel like I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve so much as dangling it over a cliff. All I can do is put it out there and brace for the impact.

"Hey." I aim for an easygoing tone and miss. My voice is practically a croak. It's impossible to tell whether or not Ty noticed. He gives me the most cursory of nods but doesn't say anything.

It's all I can do to keep my feet from doing a one-eighty and running to the safety of the pool house. But I know if I don't risk it all and tell him how I feel, I'll always regret it.

"Should we get this party started?" I ask, forcing myself to sound upbeat even though I can hardly breathe through the dread pooling in my stomach.

"Yep." Ty doesn't look at me, but I take any verbal communication as a good sign. It's a low bar, but I need to cling to any remaining shreds of positivity if I'm going to survive the next five minutes.

Ty turns on his heel and marches up the gazebo steps like he's going off to war. He might as well be stomping all over my heart. I can feel it crumbling inside me, but I do my best to pick up the pieces and hustle after him.

The crowd must be eager for us to start the movie because they burst into a round of applause, much more enthusiastic than the situation calls for. Liv whistles and Betty lets out a loud, "Ow, ow!" I spot the Rossi's sitting on a quilt toward the center of the park. Lucia catches my eye and shoots me a discreet wink and a thumbs-up.

A thrill of confidence spikes through me, but it's short-lived. I glance over at Ty, and my stomach sinks. His arms are crossed over his chest, and he stares blankly out at the audience. He shifts his weight from foot to foot like he's ready to bolt the second this thing is over.

I remind myself that the hard part's almost done. I just have to get through the next few minutes. Then I'll know if Ty and I have a future together or if we'll be left with nothing but memories.

My hands tremble as I step up to the microphone. My fear of public speaking is attempting to make a comeback, but I'm determined to see this through.

"Hello, Rosedale." My words are shaky and quiet, but you'd think I said them with all the bravado of a head cheerleader with the way everyone responds. They clap and holler, and their enthusiasm gives me courage. My voice is steadier as I say. "Thank you so much for being here tonight. It's a relief to see your faces. We were worried all our smack-talk about the movie options might have convinced you to skip the event this year."

There are some appreciative chuckles from the crowd. I peek over at Ty. A muscle in his jaw ticks, but he doesn't make a move toward the mic. Okay. Apparently, I'm doing this by myself.

I clear my throat. "We're so grateful to all of you for playing along and casting your votes—"

"Which movie won?" Gary shouts from his place in the front row, cutting me off.

"I'm getting there, Gary. I promise." I hold up a hand, and laughter trickles through the park. "But first, let's give a big thanks to Giselle for providing the amazing food for all the events." I take a step back from the mic and clap my hands together. Everyone follows suit, even Ty. He might be mad at me, but he's not a jerk. He cheers for Giselle along with everybody else as she takes a bow.

It doesn't look like Ty's about to take over this speech anytime soon, though. His feet remain firmly planted where they are. I'm sure forcing me to do this alone is his way of punishing me. I can't pretend that doesn't sting, but he's also unintentionally doing me a favor. Now, I can just say what I came here to say and see where we stand.