Chapter 6

Before you continue,

Let's take a minute.
A book takes each of us on a journey, but also brings us all together.

Comment here and let me know which country you are from.

(I hope everyone take part in this little readers engagement).
_________________________________________

Ana

Splash.

Splash.

Splash.

I mimicked the sound playfully as I added three more spoons of sugar to my tea.

"Lady Alois," Byron spoke sternly, almost as if I were in trouble, "Let me fix you your tea. You do not have to do so yourself."

"Oh it's alright," I smiled politely, "Don't trouble yourself over this small thing. Would you like me to make you a cup?"

"I must decline." The grey-haired man spoke with a subtle nod. "I shall tend to the garden now. Please call to me if you are in any need of my assistance. I am at your service."

It was so strange to listen to him speak to me in such a manner. No one ever 'tended to my needs' in such a way. Besides grandfather, I was never served in any manner throughout my life. I don't think I really liked it either if I'm honest. I preferred doing things on my own. The tea was too hot so I sat it upon the table to cool while Tomai sat quietly next to me.

"You seem awfully quiet." I observed.

"It gets lonely when Master Yuri leaves. I wish I could go along with him but he always forbids me to."

"Does it make you scared being here without him?"

The little boy looked up at me curiously, as if he was unsure of something. "Scared?"

"Yes, do you fear being alone?"

"I am not supposed to show such a weak emotion." He answered. "It fuels the demons."

I smiled at the boy. He was so innocent. "Well I do not know of demons but fear is an emotion that does not mean we are necessarily weak. It's alright to be scared of certain things, Tomai. In your case, it shows that you care. You care for your Master Yuri, not so?"

"I do." He replied with furrowed eyebrows trying to understand the meaning of my words.

"Sometimes we attach ourselves onto things, and onto people we love and care about. The thought of losing them makes us unsettled. It shakes a feeling buried deep within us." I gave him a biscuit from the tray on the table, "You know, I think it's brave that you feel like this. I think it's brave to be soft. It reflects the goodness in our hearts."

"I never though of it like that." He wondered and bit into his biscuit. A knocked suddenly came from the front door.

"I'll get it." I smiled. "You can have the rest of the biscuits."

Today the storm had settled. The event of yesterday seemed quite blurry if I were honest. I peeked out the window to see a familiar looking face at the door. Opening it quickly, Quilt stood with his trademark smile.

"A little birdie informed me of the whereabout of your luggage." He said with a sparkle in his eye and a hand on my luggage.

"Quilt!" I beamed happily, "You found it! Oh, this is so wonderful. Why don't you come in? We can chat a bit."

"Oh no no," he politely refused, "Maybe tomorrow or day after. I've got a lot of weight on my wings these days. And I should be off soon again. I just stopped to return something of yours and check in on you."

I let out a relieved sigh, "It truly means a lot to me Quilt. You're Godsent. I hope you do visit again."

"I will."

Before he left, he turned to me with a gentle smile. "You have a good soul Ana Alois, be careful who you let in."

After his short visit, I closed the door to find Tomai standing at the door behind and frowning at the man leaving. "He is not from here." The little boy remained in a certain suspicion.

"Yes. He does seem a bit foreign, doesn't he? I wonder, perhaps he's Swedish." I walked past him and ruffled his hair a bit, "Come along. Finish the biscuits with me."

Tomai sat silently doing as I asked. The young boy was troubled it seemed. Perhaps he missed his Master. The day was coming to an end rapidly and the sun was beginning to drift to the depts of the earth. I was quite happy to have my luggage back as well with my change of clothing. After showering, I headed to the prayer room and sat quietly. The lavender coloured gemstone of Mathias sparkled from the sunlight which hit it through the window. There was a calm and settling sensation which filled me kindly. For the first time in my life I felt at peace, perhaps more at peace than I ever felt with my grandfather. And yet, I had no idea why. Something about this place felt like a home to me. Somehow, I felt closer to who I am as well as Mathias. It was quite an odd sensation that swam through my blood.

The sound of glass shattering caught my attention. I snapped my head back towards the sound. Tomai suddenly yelled for Byron. I shot up and followed the sound. At the hall, Tomai and Miss Lou sat firmly on the sofa while a man wearing a thick black mask pointed his knife at them. My heart flipped in a panic. A second man seemed to be looking for something and walked up the staircase. The third stood with his strapping back before me.

I had to do something.

I reached my hand towards the counter with my breath hitched in knits and my saliva swollen within my throat. I attempted to go for a knife when I stopped. There it was before me, a cast iron pot filled with hot gravy. Byron must have just finished with it. Without a second to waste, I grabbed it with a cloth and flung it with all my might at the man whose back was facing me.

Hot gravy scorched his skin as he shrieked. I grabbed a rolling pin and a skillet in my defense. "Don't come any closer!" I warned, "I'm not afraid to use this."

The man stood with his knife and blinked at me. He threw a fit of laughter in the air and lunched himself towards me. I blocked with the pan and swung the pin at his head. He staggered back. Bryon rushed in.

"There's a man upstairs!" Tomai shouted to him. Bryon ran up the staircase. I wacked the man again on his head. And again. And again. The first man crawled towards me, groaning. I jumped on his back in a sitting form and swung again with the pin. "I. Hate. Thieves!" I cried beating the man with the pin on his head repeatedly.

Tomai and Lou quickly gathered whatever weapons they had on them. A loud thud echoed through the hall. The body of the third man fell over the staircase with shallow breaths as Bryon frowned down upon them.

"All the food is wasted." I whispered. I was so suddenly angry. My blood boiled. The only thing that were supposed to be boiling right now were the damn potatoes. I frowned at the man attempting to get up. Tomai clutched onto Lou. Or perhaps it was Lou clutching onto him. I couldn't tell as I only noticed out of the corner of my eyes. I allowed the man to find his balance. I remembered my grandfather's words. The higher you are, the greater the fall. Bryon moved.

My teeth were gritted together. My hands firmed at the handle of the pin. I lifted. I swung. "Die!"

With a groan, he collapsed to the floor, at the boots of the man who had now entered.

Yuri stood looking at me with my arms up, holding the rolling pin firmly in my hands.

His eyes locked onto mine.

Oh. God knows what he was thinking

______________________________________

Hope you enjoyed. Don't forget to Vote and Comment ❤️

Love always,
Celine.

Instagram: @celinekmahadeo