𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗 - 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

Sunlight was creeping through the windows when I woke up the next morning.

As I blinked awake, I noticed that Theo had his arms wrapped loosely around me, like we'd gone to sleep like that – our bodies curled around each other. But I distinctly remembered that we were on opposite sides of the bed, facing away from each other and that Theo was, surprisingly, asleep well before me.

We must've moved towards each other in the night.

Reluctant to move, I immensely enjoyed the feeling of his arms caressing me once more. I pretended to be asleep, closing my eyes again, silently rejoicing at the closeness between us.

Theo woke up next to me after a few minutes and presumably noticed the way we were lying. Though instead of springing away from me like I thought he would've done, he brushed a stray strand of hair out of my face and kissed me softly on my cheek.

My heart fluttered at the gesture before Theo got out of bed.

For a few more minutes, I pretended to be asleep still, before fake-yawning and stretching.

"Morning., I said, sitting up in bed.

"Hey," he replied, hands set on hips looking out of the window. "How did you sleep?"

Not well.

"Fine," I told him a little white lie.

"Yeah? Is that why you were thrashing around so much?" He smirked, turning to me.

It was then that I realised that he was topless... Why hadn't I realised that earlier? I looked away from him, wishing that I'd kept him in bed with me a little longer.

"Sorry., I mumbled to the sheets.

"It's fine; I got to hold you again," he said, before rushing, "I mean, I had to hold you."

I blushed slightly and looked up at him again. "Okay, so maybe I'm getting night terrors again." I shrugged. "No biggie."

"Erm, yes biggie," he corrected, "It's a biggie if you try and strangle the person next to you whilst you're asleep, and whilst they're trying to sleep."

"Sorry." I pulled an apologetic face.

He shrugged. "Nothing I can't handle. Besides, what do you even dream about?"

"I honestly can't remember," I admitted and sat up a little more. "I never can."

"That's fine," he assured, folding his arms.

"Can you put a top on or something?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Why, feeling distracted?" He teased.

Yes. Very, very distracted.

"No." I shrugged, trying to ignore the heat in my cheeks and forehead.

"We should probably get up now anyway," he said.

"Mhm." I nodded in agreement before something hit me. "How will the others have got home?"

"That assumes they came home at all." He smirked, "Which they haven't — we're the only ones here."

Why does that excite me so much?

A whole empty house; just me and Theo, with nothing better to do... Apart from each other.

Oh God, my eyes widened at the dirty thought that came unbidden into my head.

"Ember?" Theo broke into my thoughts, "You good?"

"Uh-huh." I nodded, not really though. Needing to get away from Theo for a bit I decided, "I need a shower."

"Go for it," he said, "But make sure you use the girls' one this time."