𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐨

It was mid-afternoon on a Saturday when I stepped out of the ranch into the warm sunshine and noticed Ember lying in a reclined chair at the other end of the deck, wrapped up in blankets.

"Aren't you too warm like that?" I asked her, sitting down in a chair beside her, hoping she hadn't gone into a comatose state again; that would suck big time.

A shoulder might've shrugged — I wasn't sure — and she spoke, "It's cosy."

"I can't believe it's, like, the middle of June already." I sighed, leaning back and stretching.

The sun was high in the sky, and the light outline of the full moon was semi-visible through some thin clouds. Searching for my pack all those months ago felt like a million lifetimes ago; all that had happened in Lake Oldoy was blurring in my memories — yet my clearest thoughts of those times revolved around Ember, and how lost I'd gotten in her — how in love I'd been with her.

"You know I've realised something," she announced, ignoring my words about it being June; ignoring me.

"What's that?" I frowned at her, wondering where on earth she was taking the conversation.

Head tilted skywards, she mused, "Watching the clouds is almost as transfixing as watching a fire."

"Nothing's as transfixing as watching you." The words tumbled out of my mouth before I could even process my thoughts. "I meant—"

"It doesn't matter." She waved a hand. "I'm feeling too empty to be arsed falling out with you."

Okay, that's a new one. I guess that means we're at the 'depression' stage of grief now.

"Anything in particular you want to talk about?" I tried; we hadn't really talked about the whole thing with Maia since the other day. And, honestly, I was starting to worry about what the full moon would bring for the pack that night — especially since Maia wasn't a 'real' werewolf.

Would she even shift at all? What happens if she does shift? Will she be violent, unpredictable, and out of control?

"No." A shake of the head came, along with Ember's voice — reminding me I thankfully wasn't alone with my thoughts. "I just want you to be here with me."

After a few moments of silence, I asked, "Are you cold?"

"Why?" She smirked to herself, still staring up at the ever-changing array of clouds. Her voice took on a flirting tone. "Are you offering to warm me up?"

Holy shit. It's been a while since she's spoken to me in that way.

"I mean, yeah." Teasing, I grinned across at her as her eyes locked onto mine. "I could grab you another blanket if that's what you mean."

Once again taking the conversation in a totally different direction, she blurted out, "My dad is dead, Theo. I'm responsible for his death."

"Do you wanna go for a walk in the woods?" I suggested. "Instead of just sitting here all evening?"

"Sure, why not?" She stood up so quickly that I was genuinely surprised she didn't fall over; after being wrapped up like she was, I'd forgotten that she was nowhere near fragile, or delicate. Not physically, at least. I couldn't really speak for how she was doing emotionally right then.

Her blankets fell to the floor, revealing the fact that she was wearing shorts, for the first time in, like, months. But, damn, her legs looked good. All that training she did on Svalbard had toned her thighs and butt nicely.

"All my pairs of ¾-length leggings are in the wash," Ember explained along with a shrug.

"No complaints from me." A smirk reached my lips.