𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎 - 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

Ryder and I had to postpone our date by a day. Somehow, he'd forgotten that it was a full moon on the day that he'd asked me out for — I mean, how on earth does a werewolf forget something as important as that?

Thankfully, the night of the full moon passed without much trouble: with Jason, Jade, Theo, Ryder and Maia going off into another valley, and me, Storm, Abi and Zack staying at the ranch.

Also, somehow, in between everything going on, Theo had gotten a job working at a diner. And that diner just happened to be the River City Grill in East Missoula. The exact diner that Ryder chose for us to go to on a date.

I'd like to think that it was just some freaky coincidence, but I was pretty sure that by this point, the universe was against me.

It was beyond awkward when we sat down and Theo came over to take our order. The mood had totally and completely died — we'd been fine on the drive over here, and I'd been excited. But now, my bubble was well and truly burst.

How can you have a date with someone whilst your ex is hovering over your shoulder?

Answer: you can't. It's impossible. Implausible.

"Classy, Ryder," Theo tutted as he pulled out a small pad of paper. "Your first date and you take her to a roadside diner meant for truckers."

I held my breath and didn't say anything as Ryder responded, "Well, Theo, it's better than that date that you never took her on."

Theo growled quietly, eyes avoiding mine, "It wasn't my fault we had to deal with hunters."

I swallowed; this was only getting worse. Both of them were behaving as bad as each other — dragging up memories that I'm sure both of them would rather leave buried.

"Oh, at least you weren't being tortured by the hunters," Ryder growled back, "And by the sounds of what Storm told us, you and Ember had plenty of time to fool around with each other, while the rest of us were locked in cells, hooked up to electric currents."

"You know that's not my fault! I came as soon as I could, as soon as I knew how to find you." Theo glared angrily at him.

"Both of you. Stop it. Now." I pressed my lips together firmly, deciding that enough was enough and I couldn't listen to them arguing over me a moment longer.

Much to my surprise, they stopped — normally it took Jason to get them to stop bickering.

"Good." I nodded, declaring bluntly, "I'm leaving now."

"Ember, wait—" Ryder began.

"Nope," I refused, not even wanting an apology or an explanation, not even turning back as I walked out of the diner.

Stepping out into the May sunshine, I breathed in the fresh, clean, mountain air.

Why does my romantic life have to be so goddamn complicated? I don't even know what I'm fooling around with Ryder for when all I want is for Theo to give a shit about me again. And then there's Jade... Jade and Theo, Theo and Jade. There's definitely something going on there.

But deep down, buried deep within my soul, there's some part of me that wants Theo just to slam me against a wall and kiss me until I can't stand kiss me until all of our worries and troubles melt away into insignificance.

God. I let out probably the heaviest sigh I've ever let out. My mind is so screwed up; why am I thinking about Theo in that way when I'm with Ryder?

Stupid disloyal Phoenix.

"You alright?" Someone asked after my heaviest of all heavy sighs.

Not looking at them, I nodded and shrugged. "Fine."