-FIVE-

The arrow missed both Mingyu and Chan, to their relief, but this gave Mingyu the time to push Chan away from him and bolt up the stairs. 

Chan switched his attention to Vernon, who was reloading. He threw a knife quickly, panic beginning to set in. 

"Vernon, stop!" 

"Why? It looks like you were just about to kill Mingyu. Now you're begging me for your life?" 

Chan realized he only had one knife left and caught a glimpse of the one embedded in the floor, where Mingyu had been. Maybe he could grab that and make a run for it. 

Mingyu thought about leaving Chan there to die, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. He felt too guilty. He would kill Vernon, then, if Chan tried to come after him again, he'd kill him too. But first, he'd take out the biggest threat. 

It was insane. Vernon used to be one of his best friends. 

Vernon aimed at Chan and didn't hesitate to shoot. Chan was able to move out of the way just in time, the arrow now in the wall behind where his head was. 

He wasted no time. 

He bolted to the door, making sure to grab the knife on the way. However, the knife was stuck. "Ah!" He exclaimed. His heart raced as he pulled at the knife. 

It gave Vernon enough time to load the bow. 

Chan finally got the knife free and threw himself through the door. Vernon shot at him. 

The arrow hit him in the lower back. 

"Ah!" Chan cried out. He dropped to the ground. 

Vernon moved closer to him, but only for a moment before he heard a loud gunshot. 

It hit the window next to him and the glass shattered, causing Vernon to jump out of his skin. 

Mingyu stared in shock. He missed? He missed?! 

"MINGYU!" Vernon shouted. 

Mingyu shot again, grazing Vernon's shoulder. "Ah, fuck!" Vernon exclaimed. He took a quick look at Chan, then ran to the stairs. 

Mingyu fell back and scooted toward the opposite side of the room. He shot a few more times, but nothing hit Vernon. Dang, how was he such a bad shot?! 

Mingyu looked around, trying to find a way to escape. He had mere seconds. 

The window. 

Mingyu turned to see Vernon loading the crossbow. He didn't even have time to shoot. Mingyu rushed to the window and quickly climbed through it, throwing his rifle to the ground. 

The arrow flew out the window and past Mingyu, into the sky. 

Mingyu noticed a wooden ledge that was angled down, which must be the roof to a back porch. It was slippery, and he needed to move slow so he didn't fall. He tried to get his other leg out, but Vernon was getting faster. He shot Mingyu in the leg with an arrow. 

Mingyu let out a painful wail. "Aaah!" He screamed. He decided he would risk death and pulled his leg out of the window as quickly as he could. 

He fell and rolled down the roof, then from there to the ground. 

He hit the bottom step of the porch, letting out an 'oof!', then he rolled a few feet on the ground and came to a stop. 

Mingyu wasn't safe yet. 

He grabbed his rifle and stood, limping as he tried to run away. Vernon was aiming at him through the window, but just as he was about to shoot, Mingyu ducked between the grocery store and the movie theater.