9

Hermione made sure to walk Alex all the way to Snape's office.
"Promise you'll really talk to him?" Hermione asked. Alex nodded.

"I'm here, aren't I?"

"Alex, please. I know you can't go to Madam Pomfrey, but you have to talk to someone. Snape knows, and he cares about you. He can help." Hermione slowly lifted her arm, letting Alex see what she was doing. She let her hand drop on Alex's arm. "If for no other reason, do it for my peace of mind."

"I'll tell him. I promise." Alex vowed. Hermione nodded.

"I believe you." She said and let Alex walk down the corridor alone. She watched her walk into Snape's office before leaving.

"How did things go with your brother?" Alex asked, delaying the talk she promised Hermione she'd have with Snape.

"Never mind that. I heard there was an incident on the train?" There went the plan to avoid that conversation for as long as possible.

"Yeah. Dementors attacked."

"Are you okay?"

"Me? I'm fine. I heard Harry fainted."

"But you were okay?" He asked. Alex sighed.

"You already know."

"Know what?" He sounded puzzled.

"So you don't know?"

"Alex, what happened on the train?"

"I may or may not have had a really bad encounter with the dementors. I tried a patronus but I didn't have time."

"Are you okay?"

"There were three other people in my compartment and I was the only one to freeze."

"You've been through trauma your friends could not even begin to imagine." He told her. "You can't blame yourself."

"I should have been quicker with the patronus. Or used my occlumency training. I just froze and I was useless."

"Take a seat." Snape said. He stood and walked around his desk and sat on the chair next to her. "You're not useless. You are the least useless child I've ever met."

"I'm not a child."

"You're fourteen. You're most certainly a child. You've been through things a child never should, and perhaps it has aged you in some way, but you are a child. It is only natural that you would have such a profound reaction to the dementor. Any adult would react the way you did, if put in your shoes. Dementors feast on your positive emotions and force you to confront your darkest. And the past three years haven't exactly been kind to you. It is okay that you're not okay."

"It was really bad. I don't know what would have happened without her there. I was stuck in my head. Hermione treats me like I'm about to break any second. And it's valid because sometimes I feel like maybe I am. And I know she's just worried."

"Would you feel better practicing your patronus more?" Alex nodded.

"Can I do it with you?"

"Of course. Fridays after three?"

"Yeah. Thanks."

"Don't thank me. But I will advise that you avoid going into the forbidden forest until the dementors are gone."

"I can't. I have to visit Kichiro. I haven't seen him in nine months. He must be so big right now."

"Alex-"

"And besides, the pathway from Hogwarts to the clearing is protected."

"And the actual clearing?"

"Well, I've only ever been attacked by a pixie there, but I'm sure the unicorns' magics will keep us all safe."

"Alex."

"I'm not staying away from Kichiro any longer." She said.

"At least have someone with you at all times? Granger or Diggory." Alex reluctantly nodded.

"Fine." There was a knock on the door and Alex looked confused. "Aren't you supposed to be able to hear people outside your office?"

"Only when the door is open. There's a privacy spell that engages when the door closes. It's for when a student would like to talk about a private matter." He explained as he stood and walked to the door. He opened it, and immediately moved to stand in the doorway, his posture taut and rigid. "What do you want, Lupin?"

"I was hoping I could speak to you." Lupin, the new DADA professor responded.

"I have nothing to say to you."

"Well, I do. Please."

"I'm a little busy at the moment." Despite Snape's best efforts to keep Alex shielded from the defence teacher's view, Lupin managed to get a glimpse of her.

"Later, then." He said and walked away. Snape closed the door and Alex let out a breath.

"Who is he?" She asked.

"The new DADA teacher."

"I mean, I know that. But who is he? There's something... creepy about him." Snape looked alert.

"Creepy how?" She shrugged.

"I don't know. Maybe he's different. I mean, according to Hermione he can produce a patronus. Maybe I just really don't like DADA teachers."

"Something about him bothers you though?" She nodded, hugging her arms around her body.

"I don't know. I mean, after... the beast went away, everything dulled a little. I'm probably imagining it, overcompensating or something. Trying to sense danger where there's none."

"I'll talk to Dumbledore." He said.

"No, I'll be fine. Hey, we might actually have a decent DADA teacher for once."

"I wouldn't count on it." Alex frowned.

"Do you know him?" She asked. Snape shook his head slowly.

"Not really." He said.

"That's not an answer."

"No." He answered. "I don't know him."

"Why des everyone think Sirius Black is coming to Hogwarts?" She asked. "There must be a reason if Dumbledore's actually allowing dementors here."

"If it was a reason students should know about, you'd already know."

"What's the point in having a faculty member for an uncle if I don't get to be privy to sensitive information?" He didn't look amused. "Fine. I'll just figure it out myself."

"Please try to have a normal school year?"

"Where's the fun in that?" She grinned. "I need to get going. Hermione and I need to meet with McGonagall after breakfast."

"Remember. No leaving the castle alone." He said. "And come see me if you need to."

"Yes, uncle." She said playfully.