22

Alex huffed as she sat at her desk. Snape wouldn't let her do any work until she talked and talking was the last thing she felt like doing. Especially after their last chat. "Alex, please." He sounded exhausted and she narrowed her eyes.

"I don't want to think about it."

"You need to."

"I have no conflict over my patronus. I have enough problems without you making some up."

"If you have no conflict, then you should be able to produce a patronus."

"I can. It just-"

"Clearly something's changed your attitude towards your patronus."

"It, she. What does it matter? A patronus isn't even a real animal."

"Whatever happened to patronuses being spiritual guides and deserving of respect?" He threw her words back at her. "What changed your opinion?"

"Nothing."

"I can't help you if you won't tell me."

"Like you told me you knew the defense teacher?"

"I should've known you wouldn't be letting it go so easily."

"You don't have to tell me. We're all entitled to our secrets." He pursed his lips before interlocking his hands in front of him.

"We were at Hogwarts together." He told her, opting to tell her. "We never got along. House rivalry being one reason."

"Seemed a little more than a simple house rivalry."

"We hated each other, and both sides gave as good as they got. Like Draco and Potter."

"Oh."

"I'm not entirely proud of it. We were children." He explained.

"I think you might be right." She spoke up. "I don't really get it but I think Hermione might have caught on to it."

"So you are having trouble with the way you view your patronus?"

"It- she just reminds me of it. The beast. It was a monster and it was kind of easy to separate myself from it. It wasn't me. So when my patronus turned out to be a wolf, I thought it was because of the beast. But it's gone. And my patronus is still a wolf so the beast may be physically gone, but clearly it's not totally gone. I am the beast and the beast is me. There is no divide. I just don't physically have the abilities that I used to, but the essence of the beast is always going to be a part of me."

"Your patronus might not have anything to do with your past alter ego." She stared blankly at him. "Don't look at me like that. You're so convinced your patronus is evil because it represents a part of you you believed evil, but what if your patronus represents you as a whole?"

"Or it's just a manifestation of what I would be if Ashburn hadn't gotten his grubby hands on me."

"Patronuses are spiritual creatures, remember? It wouldn't be something so literal. Wolves signify a deep bond with nature. With the moon and the earth. Your connection with the unicorns matches. Wolves are also protectors and loyal creatures."

"They're also big on family and friends. Packs, right?"

"And you're not?" He said, unconvinced and she glared.

"Can I be dismissed now?"

"You haven't had your lesson."

"Can we skip the touchy-feely emotional portion at least? It doesn't fit your persona."

"Alright, then. We've covered unforgivable curses. The use of any is guaranteed to send you to Azkaban for life, unless there are extenuating circumstances. What are these circumstances?"

"If you're being forced, coerced or blackmailed." She answered.

"Not self defense?"

"There are hundred, if not thousands of spells that could be used if one needs to defends themselves. An unforgivable curse would be escalating a situation. One could just as easily cast a protection spell on themselves or a binding spell on their attacker. The unforgivables require intent and deep hatred."

"Good. What other spells can land you in Azkaban?"

"Any spells used to deliberately harm or harass without reason. Spells used to steal or swindle. Spells used to forge and/or cheat. Those are sort of the main but vague headings. There are all sorts of illegal spells but they mostly all fall under one of the headings above."

"For our next lesson, you're to write a four foot essay exploring what makes a spell illegal and how a penalty is doled out."

"Azkaban, fines, house arrest-"

"In your essay." Alex huffed.

"Yeah, okay. What's next?"

"Practicing your patronus." She groaned.

"Can't we do more legilimency?"

"Bring along a volunteer next time and we can work on it some more." She perked up instantly. "With their permission. No forcing Miss Granger."

"Can I try it on you?"

"And if you get stuck in my mind, who will pull you out?"

"Oh, yeah. Right. What about when I'm more adept?"

"I hardly think my memories are suitable for a child."

"I'm not an ordinary child."

"Perhaps not, but you are a child nonetheless. Knowing my past isn't the same as witnessing it." She nodded.

"I can understand that." She told him, thinking back to her own reluctance to share her memories with him. "Hermione will agree."

"Of her own free will, I hope?" Alex didn't respond. He raised his brow and she sighed.

"Oh all right. I'll ask her and get her witting permission first."