10

"No."

"I haven't even said anything." Alex complained and Hermione shook her head.

"We've been entrusted with a time turner, we have to be responsible. So no, we will not use it to prank Ron or the twins."

"But, H! You have to admit, Ron would be so fun to mess with."

"No."

"Okay, what if-"

"We're not using the time turner for anything other than classes."

"You're no fun sometimes." Alex sighed.

Later that evening, Alex snuck out to visit Kichiro alone. She was aware she was breaking her promise to Snape but she really wanted some one on one time with him. She looked around, clenching her wand tightly in her hands keeping a watch for the dementors as she hurried across school grounds. She got to the forest safe and ran down the familiar path, panting as she finally reached the clearing.

Okay, so there were some disadvantages to no longer having a beast locked inside her. One of which being her stamina. This trip into the forest had never taken so much out of her.

Upon reaching the clearing, she paused and leaned against a tree to catch her breath. A few minutes later she walked forward. Kichiro was standing tall and proud and she smiled. He noticed her and trotted over and she reached out.
"Hey, baby boy." She grinned. "You're so big, now." His face rested in the palms of her hands and she leaned to press a kiss on the bridge of his nose. "I've missed you so much. Like you wouldn't believe. It's been so long." He just moved his head to her shoulder and she gave him a hug. "I know I saw you in April, but that was months ago. I have a lot to tell you."

"Where's Alex?" Emiko asked as she sat between Hannah and Charlie in the great hall.

"Probably skipping dinner again." Megan shrugged. "Don't count on seeing her tonight."

"Why not?"

"She disappears some nights." Susan said. "All we know is she's not with us and she's not with Hermione. She'll show up for breakfast tomorrow or Hermione'll talk some sense into her."

"But where else is she going to be?" No one answered.

"Just don't worry about her. Alex can handle herself."

"What if she encounters a dementor?" Charlie looked sympathetically at her and turned to Cedric who was a few seats away.

"Hey, Cedric!" She called and he turned to her. "Would you mind hunting Alex down and taking some dinner with you?" He nodded and Charlie turned back to Emiko. "Cedric'll find her."

"Okay." Emiko sighed. She still looked worried.

"She's fine." Megan noticed her glum expression. "Trust us. She hates it when we worry so much."

"I can't help it." Emiko picked at her plate.

"Yeah." Charlie smiled. "Neither can we. You just learn to give her space."

Cedric trekked through the woods with a plate of casserole. Alex was sitting on a log, Kichiro's head resting on her lap. He smiled.
"Hi." He said getting her attention and she jolted, standing in a defensive stance. Kichiro jumped up to stand protectively next to her. Upon noticing it was Cedric, she sat back down and softly tried to soothe Kichiro again until he lay back down on the ground, resting his head on her lap again.

"Sorry." She said eventually. "I didn't hear you coming."

"I didn't mean to startle you." He told her. He slowly walked towards her.

"You didn't." He laughed. "Okay, maybe a little. I'm just used to hearing people come up to me. You were dead silent."

"I'll try to be louder next time." He sat on a space next to her, careful to give Kichiro his space. "I got you some dinner."

"You didn't have to."

"I know. I wanted to." He told her and she took the plate.

"Thanks."

"So, your friend Emiko's worried."

"Oh no." She frowned.

"It's fine. We told her I'd come find you and that seemed to calm her down. You might have some explaining to do." She groaned and looked down at Kichiro. "Did you pick arithmancy this year?"

"Yeah." She grinned. "I'll be in your class, too."

"Can I count on you joining our study group again?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Cool." He grinned.

"Here, give me your hand." Alex said and he held it out, puzzled. She guided it towards Kichiro. The colt didn't move and Cedric looked almost in awe. "He knows you. He knows you're a friend. You came to check on him every week when I couldn't."

"I was happy to." He replied. "It's peaceful here, and it reminded me of you." Alex blushed before realising her hand was still on Cedric's. She didn't move it.

"I'd like Alex to resume her DADA classes with me this year." Snape suggested, without greeting the headmaster. Dumbledore smiled pleasantly.

"My dear boy, don't you think you're taking this schoolboy enmity too far?"

"He almost killed me, if you weren't aware. That's more than a 'schoolboy enmity'. And it's not why I'm keeping her away from him."

"Remus had nothing to do with that prank."

"So you say."

"Why don't you want Alex in his class?"

"You were the one in her memories." Snape said. "You saw firsthand what happened to her. Do you really think letting a werewolf teach her is the best course of action?"

"She doesn't know."

"It's only a matter of time before she finds out. If I recall correctly, she figured out the philosopher's stone before the end of her first term. She was the one to figure out what was attacking the school last year." Dumbledore had a pensive look on his face. "And she already knows there's something off about him. If she spends any time in his company she will surely figure it out."

"You have a point there, Severus."

"So, she'll resume her DADA lessons with me?"

"I'm not so sure it's the wisest course of action. For now, she doesn't know what he is. If she can see that he means no harm before finding out-"

"If we allow her to go to class with him and she finds out, which I assure you will occur by the end of her first lesson, she'll feel betrayed."

"Very well. I suppose you know her best. You can inform her and I'll make the necessary amendments to her timetable." Snape nodded, gratefully, and left.