2. I have regrets

I really just wanna post all of my pre-written chapters. Someone, please tell me not to do it

The next day was fairly boring. Alexander got his arm set, and nurses ran more tests. He and apparently, his baby, were healthy. He threw up a couple of times, but no one knew if it was the concussion or morning sickness.

The day after that was... eventful. He got permission to visit John in his room. Of course, he was still unconscious, but stable. That's what Alexander repeated in his head. Unconscious, but stable. He's stable. John's going to be okay. When he entered the room, he was surprised at the sight before him. Unlike Alexander, he wasn't wearing a hospital gown, but instead had bandages wrapped around his chest. He had a broken leg, and you could see all the fresh cuts and bruises on his arms and lower chest.

Alexander didn't know what to do. John looked terrible. Eventually, he settled on sitting in the chair by his hospital bed and taking his hand. Like Martha and Kristina, Alexander softly gasped when he felt a grip tighten on his hand and saw looked up to see John's eyes fluttering open. His nose twitched as he woke, becoming more apparent of his surroundings.

"Alex..." he mumbled. Alexander slowly tightened his grip on John's hand. "I love you."

Tears were pricking at Alexander's eyes. "I love you too. So, so much." His other hand drifted from his side and placed it on his stomach.

The door creaked open. "Alexander, sweetie, how are you-" Eleanor cut herself off once she saw John. She called a nurse over, and was immediately at John's other side, rubbing the knuckles on his other hand.

The nurse asked him questions like, 'how do you feel?' and 'what can you remember?' Eleanor and Alexander got kicked out of the room a few minutes later so the nurses could have their space. It was half an hour before they were allowed back in John's room. At that time, Eleanor pulled Mary, John's younger sister, out of her classes. Alexander managed to limp to the bathroom just in time to barf up his entire stomach into the toilet.

Alexander left the Laurens' alone so they could catch up. After all, they had been in South Carolina, and only came up when they received news of the crash. Mary was taking online classes.

Ten minutes later, the two left, and Alexander was welcomed into the room. John smiled warmly at his fiance. "The nurses told me you're-" John started.

"Yeah."

John patted a spot next to him on the bed for Alexander to sit. "What do you want to do?"

Alexander sat and held John's hand. "What should I do?"

John sighed. "I can't tell you that, babe. It's your body, and I'll support you every step of the way."

Alexander thought for a few minutes. "I think I wanna keep it." John smiled softly and nodded. He looked up at Alexander, asking permission to rest his other hand on his stomach. Alexander took his hand and placed it for him. He rested his head on John's shoulder. The two sat mostly silent, enjoying each other's company.

Alexander drifted off to sleep after an hour. When he woke up, there was a rapid beeping noise. Alexander glanced at John's heart monitor, which was spiking. Nearby nurses immediately came rushing in, pushing him away so they could work.

John's emergency contacts, one being Elenor, of course, were called and she was back in the hospital within the next ten minutes. Alexander was sitting in the chair by John's room with his head in his hands.

"Alexander!" Eleanor called out to him, and he looked up. "Alex, what happened? Where is he?"

"I-I don't know what happened," Alexander rushed out. "I- we were just-just sitting there a-and-"

A nurse came up to them. "Are you Eleanor Laurens?"

"Yes! Where is my son?!"

"He went into cardiac arrest, and being prepped for an emergency open-heart surgery right now." He informed them, leading them into a waiting room. He ran off in a hurry leaving them with too many questions.

"Eleanor," Alexander whispered.

She was in shock. She couldn't move, couldn't speak, couldn't breathe.

"Eleanor," he whispered again.

No response.

He gave up. He led her to a chair next to him and sat her down, him being in the opposite chair.

The silence was uncomfortable. It made his thoughts louder and louder. It made the ringing in his ears deafening.

What if John died? His mind echoed.

What if he never gets to see our child?

What if I have to raise them alone?

He started to tear up. John still had so much left to see, so much more to do. He was supposed to see their child grow up. He would be there to set up parties. They were supposed to watch Disney movies together. They were supposed to be there for them whenever and wherever.

They were supposed to grow old together.

Alexander remembered the first time they met. It was like something out of a bad rom-com. They were dormmates and John helped him unpack. He blushed whenever their hands made contact and when he was caught staring. Everyone thought they were already dating because of all the not so platonic flirting. It was a whole mess of butterflies and tears. There was even a dramatic confession in the rain.

He could barely keep it together. His silent tears became choking sobs. His sounds echoed the once silent room.

There was no one to hold him. John was in surgery and Eleanor wasn't there.

So he just sat there.

-

"Alex, Alex, Alexander!"

Alexander snapped out of his head. He saw Kristina in front of him, holding his hand.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"It's John. He-He's in surgery," Alexander choked.

"Hey, it's okay. He's going to be okay," Kristina told him, her voice quivering with uncertainty. "I'm gonna go talk to Eleanor."

-

"John Laurens?" A nurse announced.

Kristina, Alexander, and Eleanor's heads shot up.

The nurse was obviously nervous about something. He fidgeted with a pen in his hand, tapping it on his clipboard. Though, working at a hospital would probably be an anxious experience.

Eleanor got up and approached the nurse. "Where is my son? Is he okay?"

"I-I am very sorry. He- your son- the surgery was unsuccessful. John Laurens was pronounced dead August 27, 2014, at 8:27 pm."

"W-What-"

"I'm so sorry for your loss, ma'am," he said softly before walking away.

A/N: I am so sorry for your loss